Saturday, July 1, 2017

Hello, JULY!

   Yesterday was the first time in about a month that I spent the entire day at the shop.  Usually I split a day with another member and get to leave around 1:30-2pm but we're into a stretch of time where I'll be working whole days and frankly, I'm not too excited about it. I'm also not too sure how I got so many full days!
   My stock bag looked like I was leaving for a week!  Besides packing the sweater I finished, I had to be sure I had the yarn to finish the hat to go with it.  And since it wouldn't take all day to do a hat, I brought yarn to do a baseball hat, too.  And the yarn to start the baby doll that I found online and bought the pattern. And the needles to do them all.  I knew I couldn't knit all day sitting on that high stool behind the counter in the shop so I threw 2 books in my bag, too. (They were serial and I wasn't sure which one was next.) 
   I filled my insulated travel mug with coffee and headed out the door about 8:45am.  I had to stop at the bank and I didn't know how long it would take to cash a check.  The lines for the drive-thru tellers were busy and  I drove away a little after 9am with my money and a dog biscuit.  One teller always gives Fanny a treat and since I have tinted windows in the back and she couldn't see I was alone...I was in the far aisle, she just assumed Fanny was with me and included the dog biscuit.  Fanny will enjoy it the next time she's in the car.  Since it was already after 9am I skipped McDonald's in Herkimer and just headed up the hill on Rte.28.  It was easy going, no big trucks, and I made it to Richfield Springs in about 15 minutes.  A quick trip thru the McDonald's drive-thru there got me a Southwest Salad...minus the chicken because McD's doesn't cook chicken at 9am.  Now that doesn't make any sense to me.  If the place is open 24/7 why can't I get chicken on my salad at 9 in the morning?  Oh, it was at a reduced price.  Big WOW! 
   The next few miles of Rt. 28 along Canadarago Lake are in a reduced speed zone...35mph...because of all the camps on both sides of the road.  But the lake is nice to look at and once I got thru Schuyler Lake it was 55mph or a little more all the way to Cooperstown!  Traffic was starting to pick up on Chestnut St and I had to wait a few minutes before I could make the turn but that's ok coz they could all be tourist from Dream's Park coming into town to spend their last pennies before heading home!
   The big parking lot at Doubleday Field was about half-full and I took that as a sign that I would be busy.  I unloaded the car, did the opening chores...put out the flag (it wasn't raining) watered the flower boxes, arranged a display on the shelves outside and on the side of the building, counted the  money drawer and got ready to work on my hat.
Flowers and Lace Set
I wanted to make a flower to match the ones I had embroidered on the sweater and was lucky enough to find one on Ravelry.com.  With that finished I put the care/price tag on it and put it on a hanger and hung it up.   It collected compliment during the day but no one wanted to take it home with them.  Maybe today.  After that was finished I even got a baseball hat knitted and embroidered and put on the shelf!  The baby doll proved a little more difficult than I had imagined or
my note taking skills have deteriated. The pattern is a download in my emails and I just copied it by hand instead of printing it out.  When will I learn?  I'll try it again this weekend...maybe even today.
  The salad wasn't bad for lunch but it would have been better with the chicken.  One of our newer shop members is a baker and she's bringing in cookies, etc. when she works.  Lucky for me she had been in this week because there were biscotti and sugar cookies for sale in her display.  I gave in to temptation and bought a baggie of sugar cookies for $3.  One went with my coffee after I got my opening chores finished and the other was dessert with lunch. 
  Judy came in just before closing and asked if I'd like to go out to dinner with her because she was on her own last night.  She offered dinner at Tuscana's, an Italian place in town that she and her family go to often and she raves about.  I called Jeff and asked what he was doing and when he said he was turning 
what was left of the pot roast into beef stew I said I
was going out to dinner with Judy.  Don't know if he was pleased but he had his dinner hot and ready for him and I was dying for pasta...a big no-no in our house since we've been trying to get his blood sugar under control. 
  Tuscana's is a small restaurant across the street from the Hall of Fame on Main St. in Cooperstown that specializes in cuisine from northern Italy.  If you are ever in town I highly recommend you eat there.  First there is a loaf of herb bread and a small bowl of olive oil and garlic on your table for dunking.  Then they start filling your wine glass...and I emphasize
'start filling'.  I had a very nice white and Judy had a
had a red that she'd enjoyed before.  We both
limited ourselves to 1 glass because we were driving but diners around us had their glasses refilled repeatedly. Lucky people!  Judy had a chicken dish in a white sauce and I had eggplant parm, both served with pasta.  I haven't had pasta in so long and it was so good!  The eggplant was so tender!!  Definitely, if you're in town and hungry, try Tuscana's,  You won't be sorry!  And while the drive home was slower than usual it was uneventful.  I saw only 1 sheriff's car...in Otsego County...and no Trooper's.  Jeff was a little put out when I handed him my doggie bag from the restaurant but I thought he'd enjoy the eggplant, too. (He didn't.  It's still in the refrid.)  I went straight to bed but got up a couple of hours later and we had coffee together.  Aw, men.


No comments: