Friday, July 7, 2017

Happy Independence Day!

   July 4th is over and our nights are quiet again.  For awhile there we had fireworks displays all around us every day and Fanny did not like them.  Not one bit.  She would start out in a chair near me either here by the computer or watching TV but at the sound of the first cherry bomb she'd be up like it had gone off right under her and head for Jeff.  If he was at his computer, she'd lay next to him or under his bed.  If he was trying to relax, she'd hop up on his bed and snuggle up to him  (Ever have a 89 pound dog snuggle up to you?  It's a real experience, believe me.)  She'd stay with him until 3am or so and when she'd finally get him up to let her out she might decide to come to bed with me.  I'd wake up in the morning to find her stretched out next to me.  She enjoys my bed because I have the windows wide open and the breeze thru the west-facing window flows over the bed.  But a roll of thunder would send her right back to Jeff.  I can't wait until the end of the month when we get the puppy.  I hope Fanny suddenly stops being afraid of so much...maybe the puppy will bring the best out of her?  Yea, I don't really think so, either.
   On the 4th we decided that instead of staying home we'd go exploring so the 3 of us got into my car and headed east...first on Rte. 5 then crossing the river in Little Falls on Rte. 5s...all the way to Amsterdam!  We hoped we'd find a good fishing spot along the river/canal but didn't.  Jeff had never heard of the Shrine at Aurieville but with the dog we didn't want to stop.  We ended up stopping at the marina in St. Johnsville for a little while.  It was nice but Fanny wouldn't drink the water I put in her dish. Fussy?  It was a nice day for a ride and not much traffic.  When we got home we left Fanny in the house with a couple of dog biscuits and went to Denny's for supper.  I got a burger and fries but Jeff's favorite steak was out of stock so he ended up with one of their platters.  Denny's was rather busy and the couple that sat next to us was a little different.  The guy talked but the woman stared at the table in front of her.  They ordered 1 meal and he ate most of it...she ate part of the salad.  Jeff talks to everybody so I though he was getting along with the guy but when we got back in the car he admitted he didn't care for him too much.  He thought the woman was intimidated. It takes all kind, right?  Fanny hid in Jeff's room when the local fireworks started so I watched the Capital Fourth on PBS with the  Beach Boys and then the fireworks display from the NYC show on NBC alone.  That's the way I like to watch fireworks...in a comfortable chair with a nice cold drink or a hot cup of coffee in my hand and in my t-shirt ready for bed.  Sure is different from the way we use to celebrate the 4th with the big parties at camp for my dad's birthday.  Those were the days!  Boy, does that make me feel old.  Fran Davey and I were talking about that and she reminded me about the year we saw the fireworks in Speculator and the professionals set a big tree on the beach on fire with a stray rocket! That was exciting!
   I bought a pattern online for a knit baby doll and have been trying to make it.  It's an English pattern and is coming along slowly.  I've found that I can't try to watch TV and knit when I'm working on it because I lose my place.  So far I've got the body- head and the arms done.  I'm stuffing them now and then will sew them in place.  Then comes the legs and the doll is finished.  It's called Baby Boo but I think I'll call it a Baseball Baby because the only clothes it comes with is a rolled brim hat...like my baseball hat...and I can make a bb hat for the doll.  I'd like to get a couple finished and take down next time I work (7/16).  Have to wait and see what I actually do.  (I'll post a photo of one here X when it's finished.)
 

No comments: