Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Ground Hog's Day

   I don't know how that groundhog can say we're going to have an early spring when we've never had a proper winter yet!  All sorts of storms can happen before April breezes in and personally, I'd prefer a little snow to all this rain.  Today's temperature is suppose to be in the mid-50's.  This is February!?!
   I had my annual cardiology checkup yesterday.  The doctor was very pleased that my St Jude Mechanical Valve 'sounds like new'...it is 7 years old!  In fact, he even agreed to cut the dosage of Metoprolol, a beta blocker, when I asked if it was really necessary.  I've never had high blood pressure...I take after the Tericos with low bp and the faulty heart valve...and I had asked if the beta blocker was contributing to my constant cold hands and feet...with the Warfarin.  He agreed that it was and while I can't stop taking it completely, he could cut the dose.  Of course, I see my regular MD in about a month and if my bp or heart rate has changed, the dosage will be increased again. There is nothing anyone can do about the Warfarin.  I'm stuck taking it for the rest of my life.  Oh, the cardiologist also said if the dog who likes to put her head on my chest (to check my valve clicking?) starts acting differently, get back to a doctor fast!
   Jeff's socks got finished with the legs ending up at 14".  I think I could have gone another 1/2" but I wasn't sure I'd have enough yarn and besides, I was tired of those socks!  It was time to start something for the shop.  I found an adult sweater pattern that I liked so I adapted aspects of it to my raglan-from-the-neck-down toddler sweater.  I've still got to
The collar is too tight.
finish the collar and sew on buttons but that shouldn't take too long.  I also found an adult Flapper style cloche that I adapted into a toddler hat.  That used up the
Little Flapper

skein of Red Heart acrylic worsted I had in  honeydew.  I think I'll get some Red Heart acrylic worsted in lemon and try another sweater.  Or navy and pink.
   Another of my cousins
died this week but I didn't
know him very well.  Skipper, John Vereuck, lived most of his life in California moving there with his parents and brother and sister as a child.  My mother had several photos of him from when they lived in Herkimer...she was BFF with his mother as well as her aunt.  I had 1 story that I shared:  I was the only granddaughter at the time and 3 young
grandsons went 'hunting' after my 1st birthday, capturing my giant stuffed rabbit and pulling it's ears out.    Skipper was the oldest 'hunter' according to the story. I found the photo and sent it to his daughter.  The rabbit was as tall as I was!!  (Jeff says it was an act of mercy...the rabbit was ugly!) 
   I've got a good head cold (is there a bad one?) and don't feel like doing much of anything.  I told Jeff that when I was working this would have been nothing and I'd just go to work.  Now that I don't have to go anywhere, I don't want to, so I don't. Yesterday he asked me if I wanted to go to the mall and I said no, I wanted to stay home. He went alone and I slept for 3 hours.  Today he's running errands in the rain and I'm headed back to bed for my nap.  There are positive points to being retired!

No comments: