Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Another Day

   We had to go to my cousin's funeral yesterday so, of course,  Fanny had to stay home.  Bad move.  Jeff thought it would have been too long for her to be left sitting in the car and she would be better off at home stretched out on a bed, asleep.  If only she had been.  After the funeral mass, my cousin, Diane, invited us to her house in Frankfort for lunch. One of her friends was a former 'Cornhill girl' and talk turned to old times as she and our 'Cornhill boy', Jeff, remembered what it was like living in that part of Utica 50 years ago.  After the group had dwindled to just family, I asked if Diane had a photo of her parent's wedding.  I was just 2 or 3 years old when they had gotten married and that was probably the 1st wedding/bride I saw up close but I remembered her dress.  My cousin, Phy, was a petite little woman and she wore a ballerina length dress...the only one I've ever seen!  (It's funny sometimes what makes an impression on you when you're a child.)  So, photos were brought out, and then Dean and Jeff got talking about politics and family court and suddenly this 10am funeral had lasted until 2:30pm.  By the time we got home I was a little apprehensive about what Fanny could have done.  She's house trained and I didn't expect any surprises in that area but she tends to collect 'mementos' of Jeff and me while we're out and you can never tell what you'll find in that pile!
   We walked into a totally quiet house...no sign of a dog.  Her water dish which holds 1 qt of  water and was full when we left, was empty.  I walked from room to room but there was no collection in the TV room or parlor, or on my bed.  Suddenly from Jeff's room burst Fanny so excited to see us!  She had to be greeted and patted by both of us before going 
out for a quick pee and then back in to make sure we were really home.  On Jeff's bed there was her collection:  one of my blue Croc's (real ones! not Walmart knockoffs but w/o any chew marks), a chewed on...but just on the end...roll of black electrical tape, an empty roll of TP, and an empty plastic bread bag...that had held about 6 slices of rye bread when we had gone out that morning. (No wonder the water dish was empty!)  And the pillows and blankets of Jeff's bed scrunched up where a dog had napped. Fanny kept her eyes on us for the rest of the day.  And last night while she and I were watching Little Couple on TLC, a mouse ran across the kitchen and Fanny who was laying at my feet turned and looked up at me as if to say 'see what you leave me to cope with'.  I promised to put D-con on the top of today's shopping list so I better get going and do that.
p.s.  Jeff's socks are almost finished...I'm trying to use all the yarn and make the legs as long as I can  


so I haven't cut the yarn and I am working from
both ends of the skein.  He likes long legs on his socks and I'm hoping I can get these socks to be at least 12"...if not longer. Remember, this is using just 1 skein of yarn of at least 465 yds.

p.p.s.  Oh, the folks at the bakery laughed like crazy when we told them today about the empty bread bag...and Jeff says bread crumbs...that we found in his bed when we got home from the funeral.

No comments: