Sunday, January 17, 2016

Thinking Small

   Last night I started knitting for the shop by casting on for a pair of baby socks.  I have to admit that I started to knit for the shop early only because I ran out of sock yarn for Jeff and me. (My washable wool socks are almost finished and I'm waiting for a shipment from LittleKnits which I think is shipped from the Pacific Northwest and will take awhile to get here.)  I know I only sold 6 pairs of baby sock last season but that was because I never took the time to make more.  Baby socks don't take very long...or very much yarn...to make but they are very hard on the index finger of my left hand.  It ends up looking...and feeling...like a pin cushion!  (A US 0 needle will do that.)  So with my finger wrapped in a Tough Strip flexible Band-Aid I cast on with some of the blue/green wool blend yarn left over from my socks.  By the end of the evening, the 1st sock was finished...and cute!  This morning I finished the 2nd sock and started another baby sock with a cotton and acrylic blend in a red-pink-orange ombre. 
Baby Socks
Washable wool on the left
Cotton/acrylic blend on the right


(Why I have 2 122yd skeins of that I don't know.  Maybe I was going to make myself a pair of socks out of it, too.)  I took the time to go through the sock yarn box and found enough white, yellow and jade in cotton blends to make baby socks out of each.  I think the white and yellow will have a little lace trim...wonder if there's any pink in there?  There was enough yarn in wool, cotton and you-name-it blends left over from other socks to make more, too, but it all depends on how long it takes my LittleKnits order to get here.

No comments: