Friday, February 12, 2016

Winter's Back!

    Well, Mother Nature decided to listen to those of us who live in Upstate Central New York and return Winter to us but it just goes to prove you've got to be careful what you wish for.  The weather forecasters are saying the next 2 days will break all the records for cold with the wind chill going down to -21 to -29 during the day and actual overnight temperatures down to -24!  We're also suppose to have some snow tonight...a trace to 2"...but that's what we've been having with lake effect snow for the last 3 or 4 days!  Right now the temperature outside has warmed up to 20 from an overnight low of -6.  I've been sitting next to my wood stove knitting...like I'm suppose to be doing in February!  I just finished a blue and white size 2 hoodie in Red Heart acrylic on US 5 &7's, a knit-from-the- neck-down raglan with a Henley front...and anchor buttons...and a back zipper, but when I went to Walmart yesterday to get the buttons, zipper and some yarn for the next sweater, there weren't any 18" zippers! 
Still in need of a back zipper!
The hoodie is finished, the ends worked in, the buttons sewed on and now I have to wait for the zipper.  It does not make me happy, but I will stock up when the store does!!  Oh, well.  Today I'll do a couple of baseball hats...they take about 2 hours to knit...and maybe tonight I'll cast on for a baseball hoodie.  I found 2 5-oz skeins of Red Heart acrylic in Denim yesterday at Walmart...haven't seen that color for a long time...and grabbed them both.  (5-oz is not enough for 1 sweater and 10-oz is too much, but I can use what's left over for hats.)  Walmart also had baseball buttons for a change and I got enough for 2 hoodies.  I have a 7-oz skein of Red Heart in red for a baseball hoodie and since I 'force' myself to do 1 red baseball sweater every year I might as well get it over with now.  Then I'll do a pin-stripe sweater...maybe even a hoodie.  In between each sweater/hoodie, I want to do 2 toddler hats to help fill up the stock bag.  Walmart didn't have a wide variety of spring colors yesterday for my Black Sheep or  girly lace trimmed sweaters, either.  That means either taking a day and going to Utica or ordering on-line and paying shipping.  But, I stopped at the library yesterday and picked up some books that I had requested so if I run out of yarn I can always sit by the fire and read.

1 comment:

kittie said...

Mary...how very adorable. I don't know how anyone can adore it nor any child refuse to wear it. I am so impressed.

Mari in NYC