Friday, March 8, 2013

Oh, What a Beautiful Day!

Today was a beautiful day.  The sky was so blue...with just wispy clouds...at 6am.  I saw it coz I didn't sleep well last night.  My cold has gotten to the 'nasal drip' stage and if I laid down I would start to cough, sneeze and need to blow my nose before I could fall asleep so I spent the night..from around 2am... in the chair by the wood stove.  The fire went out sometime before 6am but I was comfortable enough to get some sleep.  A long hot shower helped, too and by noon I was ready to meet the day (better late than never??). Jeff and I had talked about going to Utica shopping today so off we went.  First stop was Chanatry's on French Road... for meat. Jeff got some London Broil at $3.59 a pound and we both got Italian sausage($2.99) and boneless/skinless chicken breasts ($1.69)...enough to cook in the next week with some to freeze for later. I revisited my childhood by buying some pizzella's and Italian fennel pretzls and stocking up on pasta.  Most people say marcroni and cheese is their comfort food but for me it's acine di pepe (pastine) with butter.  It's easier and quicker than mac & cheese and you can dress it up with chicken broth!  Stop Two was Aldi's on Seneca Turnpike.  That location opened this summer and since Aldi's in Ilion is our regular store, we both wanted to see if anything was different there.  Baby carrots were only $.59/lb so I got a bag.  I also got some of the greenest bananas I've ever seen.  I'd like to say a quick stop at Hobby Lobby was next but it's never a quick stop there.  I just don't like that store...it's big and spread out, yarn is nothing to write home about, there's very poor needle selection and when I went over into the candle/wax section I couldn't stop sneezing and coughing! I needed some grippy cloth for slippers but they didn't have any...and while their pottery and ceramics were on sale, they didn't have any teapots. A complete washout for me.  Jeff took me to lunch at Five Guys and then we got lost trying to get to Gander Mountain.  Not lost really, we knew where we were, we could see the store but we just couldn't make the right turn to get there.  Happens nearly every time we try to go there.  You think we'd learn, huh?  We came home to find that Fanny had eaten a potholder, pulled more polyfill out of my comforter, tried to open my notion box (a metal Zingo's box) but couldn't and bit part of the fringe off my plastic canvas/needlepoint mugrug while we were out.  That dog knows she's done something wrong afterwards but ....  Right now she's laying next to me shredding kindling wood.  Helpful, huh?  I hope tomorrow is as nice as today was...there's plenty of cut wood to stack and more pallets to cut.

No comments: