Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March Madness??

Jeff's birthday was last Friday.  I had knitted him a pair of slippers that he likes (it was the 3rd or 4th pair I've done for him), my mom said to buy him a bag of tobacco (yes, we contribute to his delinquency but he is 60 years old and if he wants to smoke there's not much I can do, is there?) and I did a London broil for supper with mash potatoes and gravy and bell peppers-mushrooms-and-onions and got a small cheesecake for dessert. There wasn't much left over...except the cheesecake, we were both good and ate just one pre-cut piece.  I put the left over London broil along with a leftover pork chop and a piece of hot sausage in the crock pot with a can of tomato sauce and we had cheese ravioli on Sunday night.  The meat all fell apart adding to the flavor of the sauce.  There was enough sauce left to freeze but the pasta and meat pieces were gone!  Another piece of cheesecake each....  

I haven't been knitting very much this week.  My hands really hurt from my recent falls...and my right arm has developed a nice black and blue mark...but when I took out the slipper I had found in the stash and tried it on it was too big. I measured it and found out it's Jeff's size so I made the mate.  He had given back 2 pairs of very worn out slippers with a request to mend them if possible.  (Mission Impossible!  He even wore off the plastic nobs and put holes in the grippy cloth!!) I just have to sew the grippy cloth on to the new ones and he's got another pair.  It is so nice to knit for someone who appreciates the effort...he actually asks for socks and slippers!  Like a lot of my knitting friends, I rarely give handknits as gifts any more after never seeing hats/mittens being worn.

Jeff cut wood Saturday and Sunday but I haven't felt like stacking it so I've been bringing in just enough in to fill the copper wood kettle and have a small stack on the porch.  The wheelbarrow is full...in the garage...but it's too heavy for me to move.  If it gets up the ramp to the porch I'll empty it and stack wood. There's enough cut in the garage for a couple of loads in the wheelbarrow and there are a few more pallets waiting to be cut.  Jeff said something about going to pick more pallets today but I hope he forgot about it.  He's used some of the longer pieces to build a 3-tier seed station complete with grow lights (photo to follow). It is time to start seeds eventho the March wind is blowing and there is snow on the ground.

I guess winter is almost over.  The shop's scheduled to open for our 39th season in just about a month!  I've got some more knitting to do before then but my shelf should be colorful and full!  I found a pattern for baby booties that uses only 70 yds of sock yarn for a pair.  I don't have good luck with booties...mine usually will fit Paul Bunyan's baby....but these are on US1's so they may work up ok.  And that will use up all the little balls of sock yarn!!  

No comments: