Saturday, March 2, 2019

It's Guernsey Time!

  I decided to do the cast on for my 2nd size 6 Guernsey vest yesterday...130 sts. on to a US8 circular needle with Red Heart Grey Heather.  I checked to make sure my work wasn't twisted, joined and purled the first row(it's worked in the round...no seams).  Then I set it aside to work on today.  I figured I'd get the  fancy rib rows around the bottom done this morning and work on the first pattern...Chart A...this afternoon.

   Well, I got thru the first pattern (10 rows of k2rows/p2rows in the round) and then discovered that although I had checked to make sure everything was ok when I joined my round, it wasn't and I had to rip it all out BUT my yarn was wrapped tightly around my work and nothing would move so I had to cut the yarn.  I cast on 130 sts. again, checked it twice to make sure everything was really straight before joining my round and did the pattern again.  Then I did the next pattern...working 14 rows of Chart A. And again I learned that repeating variations of '(k3, p4, p3)repeat around' is not as easy as it sounds.  I messed up my count a couple of times and had to rip out a few rows but eventually I got thru that chart.  With that done I can now knit the body of the vest in the round until the piece measures 10" from the cast on...good, old, mindless knitting!  Then comes the yokes and it's done.
   And I was right...the design shows up much clearer on the grey than it did on the navy.  I know navy is
the traditional color of Guernsey sweaters but I think I'm going to prefer grey.  Or maybe even purple.  These vests are unisex.

No comments: