Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day and Summer's Here

   I finally got to the cemeteries with flowers today...one for my cousin Jim Morgan from his family and one for my parents from me.  The flags fluttering above the flowers in the sunshine are so poignant...I wanted to cry.  So many members of our family are there now.  Ah.   I had wanted to get a solar-powered cross to put in the arrangement for my parents but Walmart was sold-out of the one I wanted. Good thing, too, coz  today I read the 'do's and don'ts sign' in St Mary's Cemetery (the big one by my house) while waiting for traffic to subside so I could get back on the highway and found out that the cemetery doesn't allow solar lights!  The wooden Madonna that Mom liked and I had put in the flowers last year, was still there on their grave this spring (kind of surprised me!) so I put it back in the arrangement.  Hope it lasts another year.
    When I came home I started the first sweater for my big order: a size 2 Black Sheep cardigan. It should take 2-3 days to knit but just before supper I got a Facebook message that the order had been changed to 1 cardigan and 2 hoodies.  And yes, the Black Sheep was now a hoodie.  Jeff had asked me to sit outside with him this afternoon and I didn't take the knitting with me so I had only done...maybe 1" so I didn't feel too bad about frogging what I had done.  But I told the lady...once was enough.  No more design changes. The order said 'that green' (??) but the only shade I could get at Walmart today was Red Heart's Frosty Green.  It's a nice, gentle shade that knits up beautifully so I hope the woman likes it.  My yarn order (Iced Aqua With Love from Red Heart) from JoAnn Fabrics got delivered today, too,  and that will become another Crocus Shawl.  And again, if it doesn't sell, that's OK because I like this yarn as much as I do the first 2 shawls I made so I'm good if I get to keep it!!  
   We had a salesperson from Solar City here today.  Jeff doesn't think we get enough sunshine to run solar panels but she thought we might be able to fit 8 panels on the roof.  She'll be back after I fax her a copy of my electric bill. Jeff's even talking about trimming some of the oak trees on the west side of the house to allow more sunlight.  That's OK with me because those branches are getting mighty close when they fall during a storm!
   Jeff's out front cleaning out some of the bigger box gardens so he can plant more potatoes. Then he'll go back to the greenhouse and put in the other 2 gutter pipes.  I keep finding him sitting in the greenhouse, admiring what he's done...or dreaming about what will be.

No comments: