Monday, May 30, 2016

The Greenhouse Is Planted!


 
   Jeff thought he was ready to put the buckets on the gutter pipes but found out differently this morning.  The pipes were deeper than the 2x4 frames and the nettie cups and pails weren't sitting on the wood
frames but balancing on the pipes...or not balancing on the pipes as it was.  Anyway, Jeff had to add wood supports under the frames until the pipes were enclosed by the frames and the nettie cups and pails had

                                         something to sit on

before he could hook up the water hose to the floats.  Then he discovered that the pipes needed some support in the middle or water couldn't make it to the other end.  Finally, he
got everything level and started to plant the
buckets before putting them in place.  We now have 3 buckets of cabbage and 1 of green peppers in place on a self-watering gutter pipe in the greenhouse.
Tomorrow he may plant potatoes and put them
in the back row.  He's
already talking about changing the pipes...switching to the thicker sewer PVC pipes.  Jeff's got to get more hose...to get water from the 50 gal barrel to the other 2 pipes, and another garden hose because we have an outside faucet on the other side of the house for the big garden and another on the driveway side for the greenhouse but only 1 hose.   And he wants to get a load of mulch to cover the fabric landscape cloth.  And they say a housewife's job is never done...I think they should say Farmer's or gardener's job.
   I, on the other hand, stayed busy...knitting. (What else?)  I got a nice size order today thru the shop (3 size 2 cardigans) that I should finish in about a month.  Actually, I could do it in less time but that would mean I wouldn't be replacing anything that might sell in the shop while I was working on the order!  Today I finished a size 6mo white Flowers and Lace set.  I should have finished it last week and left
in it the shop yesterday but I kept finding other things to do.  (That should be read as 'I kept  stalling'.)  I'll do the raspberry flower for the hat after supper and that will finish it.
  I found the new interchangeable needle points I ordered in our mailbox Friday.  Actually, I found an 8 1/2"x11" cardboard mailer that held the needle points.  Glad the company, KnitPicks, protects
their products but this
was a little overprotection, wasn't it?  And I just 'tracked' my yarn order from JoAnn Fabrics and according to FedEx, it got to Herkimer Saturday morning so , hopefully, it will be delivered tomorrow...and that means I just might be able to get the Crocus Shawl started before I start those ordered sweaters! 





No comments: