Thursday, June 2, 2016

Where's the Phone?

      Jeff took some time from greenhouse building to
help clean house.  So far, we've emptied out
the kitchen porch and the front of the garage.  This is Spring Trash Collection Days in the Town of Herkimer and you can bring just about anything...except paint cans...to the town barn today, tomorrow and Saturday.  We've been collecting our trash and filling up our utility trailer...that's why the garage was full
...and Jeff 's been filling those big contractor bags
and storing them in the garage.  We even got rid of the TVs that have been sitting behind the sofa in the tv room for the past 2 years!  The kitchen porch had Rubbermaid boxes that Mom packed up 15-20 years ago and put out there! When Jeff asked what I wanted to keep I just walked away and said 'nothing'.  Well, if we haven't used it in that time why do I want to unpack it now???  It was a lot easier to have him throw the boxes away unopened than me going thru them!  I'd have cried all morning as I looked at all those old memories.
   Now the porch is almost empty...dirty, but almost empty!  Unbelievable!!  I was actually able to get to

the windows and open
them today.  How nice to have that gentle breeze again after so long an absence!  Jeff wants
to roll up the indoor-outdoor carpet Mom had put down.  If we're going to use it as a woodshed, I think the rug has to go!  And Jeff wants to empty out what's now a closet
but what use to be a hallway that runs from the kitchen to the laundry room.  We'll see if we're
up to it tomorrow or if we'll wait for the Fall collection days.  In the meantime, we have to locate one of the
cordless phone handsets-we're missing one.  Hope it didn't end up in one of those trash bags!
    After the trailer was empty we went to Lowe's to get some plywood and  blackberry plants.  The new 'pink'  plywood was to reline the trailer and Jeff had them cut it for him in the store so all he had to do was screw it in.   Now the trailer looks new again...as long as you
 
don't look inside!  The blackberry plants will probably go in the green house so the birds and critters can't get to the fruit.  We have blackberries in several locations around the yard
but the critters enjoy the berries more than I do.    Jeff's promised to net those.  We'll see if that helps.
   I've got just about all the flowers I'm going to need to do the big planter by the driveway and a couple of hanging pots.
These are all varieties of petunias that the

hummingbirds will like.
They are here already and have been looking for something to eat so I better get busy!  The bumblebees and the
butterflies will enjoy these flowers, too, and they will all help pollinate the garden for Jeff. I've got some red salvia and I think I'll get some white
salvia just to break thing up a little.  If I can find the

flower boxes in the garage I think I'll put some begonias in the porch windows.  Otherwise, I'll just stick some flower pots there.  Maybe.

    Before we headed home we decided to treat ourselves to shakes at Arby's.  Jeff had chocolate and I had their new orange cream...it tasted just like a creamsicle, remember them? Yum-yum, good!
  


No comments: