Friday, December 25, 2015

There Is Always A Silver Lining

   Well, it just goes to show that no matter how well prepared you are something always messes things up.
   The house finally looked clean this morning. The floors had been swept several times and looked good, the kitchen stove was nearly spotless and practically gleaming, the cupboard fronts and counters were washed, the hutches and shelves had been dusted and Jeff had cleaned the bathroom. The correct leaf had been found to expanded the dining table, and with the red tablecloth and the white plates and holiday napkins, it looked festive.  There was too much food (of course) but the stuffed roast beef was delicious and there was very little left over.  Same for the Italian-style spinach or greens.  Not so for the ravioli or mashed potatoes. The plate of Italian cookies was nibbled on and is now empting fast...every time Jeff or I refill our glass or cup another cookie or 2 disappears!  My cousin Ed brought a plate of roasted chestnuts or castagne which I haven't had in years that I'm really enjoying.  The honey clusters didn't come out as good as I hoped but not too bad for my first attempt. 
   Gifts were exchanged and well received.  Jeff's socks weren't finished because although the yarn (Patons Kroy Socks Fx) was in my mailbox Tuesday and I did start the first sock, it was apparent as soon as I finished the foot...all 10" and turned the heel...that 1 skein wasn't going to make the leg as long as 6'3" Jeff liked.  I'm going to order another skein and split that between the 2 legs.  Good thing he doesn't care if the dye lots match.
   This morning I started a pair of mittens for myself using Classic Elite Yarn's Liberty Wool, a worsted wt yarn and 2 short circular US3's with a pattern I found on p. 84 in Homespun Handknits edited by Linda Ligon. But the mittens are too small for me.  Instead of ripping them out, I think they will fit a friend who needs a little pampering right now.  Her husband has been in and out of the hospital this month and it hasn't been a very merry Christmas for them.  A pair of soft wool mittens for her and a scarf for him will make a nice surprise for them.  I guess mittens for me will have to wait.
   After our guests left and we relaxed a little (read
that as 'napped'), I finally got my Happy Homemaker Mojo back in gear and decided to put what leftovers there were in the refrigerator and just stack the dishes in the sink.  It was then I discovered that the
kitchen sink was clogged and then just as suddenly, it wasn't...because it was leaking! Water was running out under the cupboard door onto the floor!!  I started screaming and if Jeff wasn't finished with his nap before then, he was now!  Cut to the chase:  the drain pipe had developed a hole...not uncommon when you have sulfur water like ours.  So I can't wash dishes tonight even if I wanted to.  Hey there is a silver lining.... and, still no snow!  But 'seasonal' weather may be here on Wednesday.
   Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas!

5:15pm, 12/26/15:  The leak under the sink is fixed with new drain baskets and downspouts on both sides of the double sink for about $50...including a new wrench for 'the plumber' and the dishes from Christmas dinner are finally washed...just in time for tonight's supper.

No comments: