Saturday, December 12, 2015

Snow? Snow? No Snow!

   Still no sign of snow.  In fact, the temperature today was in the low 50's and tomorrow it's suppose to be even warmer.  It doesn't feel like December at all!
   Sales in the shop in Cooperstown have slowed down.  Tourists are around on the weekends but it's  been mainly locals during the week and then most of them head to the mall in Oneonta.  Oh, well.  I finished Jeff's 'thanks for cutting wood' socks last week and started playing with the wool yarn that I got from WEBS in Massachusetts.   I love the way it feels but the colors in the ombres don't blend that well.  There is always one that stands out too much for me but I'm still trying to make some scarves with it.  I'm waiting for the one skein of sock yarn I ordered from Skeino last week  I called them yesterday and they promised I should be getting it in 2 or 3 days.  (Yeah, right.)  If I like the quality of that yarn I might order more.  They're running a nice sale.  We'll see.  Wonder if it would get here in time for me to knit socks for Christmas??
   I've been trying to decide if I want to bake Christmas cookies or go to St Anthony's/St Joseph's bake sale and buy a couple of small trays of assorted Italian cookies.  I could put them in the freezer without Jeff even seeing them and we might have cookies for Christmas Eve/Day.  Maybe a tray of cookies and a tray of pinulata?  All the delicious goodness without the hard work??  That sounded like a plan to me.  Wondered if they'd take checks or credit cards?  So this morning I got organized and went to the church bazaar/bake sale, getting down there around 10:45am...45 mins after it opened...to find that they had already sold out of pinulata or honey clusters and cuccidati (Italian fig and date cookies).  I ended up getting 2 1lb trays of assorted Italian cookies and spending $17. I feel rather foolish, I don't think it would have cost that much money to make those egg cookies, just time.  I'll probably make pinulata...it will be a break from knitting. But I am disappointed.
   Disappointed seemed to be my mantra for getting ready for Christmas this year.  I'm disappointed with the yarn I ordered.  The scarves aren't coming out the way I had hoped. The colors, patterns...nothing seems to please me.  Then by chance I found the heavier sock yarn that Jeff likes at Craftsy.com, a site I've been using to get new patterns.  Not only do they have it, they have it on sale!!  And they also have an acrylic sock yarn that looks pretty good on sale, too.  I'm going to wait until Monday and if they still look good to me I'm going to order them.  Jeff's socks don't have to be finished by Christmas so I might just squeak by.
   Since our wood shed is now 99.9% full with less than a row to fill, we went to Tractor Supply today and got 2 cattle panels for a 2nd shed.  Jeff's got the pallets broken apart already so he just has to put the shed together and we can start filling it. We're going to get a load of split hard wood from the wood stove store on Rte 28 to put in the new shed, too.  Last year we bought bundles of split hard wood from Stewart's every other week.  It will be cheaper buying it this way.  
  

No comments: