Friday, November 27, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

    Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving yesterday!  My cousin, Ed, and Jeff's sister, Sherry, joined us for dinner... which turned out better than I ever expected!  The pork roast had a nice tasty crust on it but was tender and juicy...actually fork tender. So good!  (A Ronco rotisserie is a wonderful tool to have on your kitchen counter.)  Oven roasted butternut squash...from our garden, green beans and baked potatoes with gravy filled our plates.  I did a loaf of Italian bread in the bread machine and it was still warm at dinner time.  (I use regular flour...but shift it twice...instead of bread flour.) Dessert was pumpkin pie.  A simple menu but tasty.  I just piled the dirty dishes in the sink and hoped the Thanksgiving elves would visit but no such luck and they're still sitting there...uck.  Oh, well, I've changed the water twice...once more and I'll actually break down and wash dishes!  Jeff sent Ed home with a goodie bag of leftovers last night and still had enough for his late night snack.  I think there's enough for lunch but not for another supper.  Oh, well there is a small roast in the freezer....  Maybe we'll try a beef roast for Christmas.
   I sent in my order for sock yarn Tuesday.  I was comparing prices from my favorite catalogue with an online site and found that the online site was having an early Black Friday sale!  The yarn was half price...so I couldn't resist!!  Got enough for 4 pairs of socks (3 are Christmas gifts, 1 for me).  I have used the online site before (Webs) so I'm aware of it's quality and I can always order the other yarn from the catalogue later.  Judy had gotten me some sock yarn on sale at JoAnn's a couple of weeks ago using her coupons.  The 2 skeins of yarn she picked up cost less than the regular price for one!  I didn't have any choice about color...and since Jeff doesn't really care...I started a pair of socks with that yarn for him.  (It's not a Christmas present, just new socks.)  Then Wednesday afternoon Judy called from the shop to let me know that she had just sold my Black sheep hoodies(see blog entry for Nov 11 for photo.)!  I had cleaned the TV room that morning putting away yarn, etc so I had to dig out yarn and start another  hoodie.  Now I have a sock growing on short circular US 2's in a Deborah Norville Serenity washable wool sock yarn called Chili and a size 1 raglan-from-the-neck-down hoodie in a Red Heart acrylic called honeydew on US 5 & 7's with a Henley neck and a back zipper.  The sweater should be finished before Monday when I work in the shop again.  Hope I can get a couple of Santa and Ms Santa hats(see Nov 23 for photos) done by then, too.  I am surprised they sold!  I guess Jeff's new socks will have to wait until Monday.  
   The online knitting group (KnitTalk@yahoo.com) I belong to asked all its members to post what they were thankful for this year.  Here's what I posted:
  • I am thankful for the man in my life...he makes     it interesting and difficult but never boring.
  • I am thankful for the dog in our life... it would be dull without her.
  • I am thankful for our friends and family... without them it would be lonely, no one to play 'remember when' with.
  • I am thankful for this little house in this little woods...it may be old and ramble shack but it keeps out the weather and keeps in the warmth.
  • I am thankful for knowing how to knit...it keeps me busy.
  • I am thankful for the shop and it's customers...even when I get tired of making another baby sweater.  I meet so many nice people there!
  • I am thankful that I took early retirement...going out 3 years early was worth it!
  • I am thankful that I am a cancer survivor although radiation weakened my malformed heart valve resulting in valve replacement surgery and the rest of my life on warfarin.
  • I am thankful. 

No comments: