Sunday, March 1, 2015

Crash!

    Woke up to a loud crash a couple of hours ago but Fanny wasn't disturbed.  I couldn't tell what had caused it for sure...without getting out of bed...but I did a quick check in my mind.  There wasn't a great breeze blowing thru the house so I was pretty sure a tree branch hadn't come thru the roof or a window. The weather forecast last night had put us under a storm warning from this morning until Monday morning but things seemed quiet...at least from my point of view in bed.  Maybe the big county plow had been out salting and had scrapped bottom when he went around the curve on Smallsbush...but there hadn't been any headlights brightening my bedroom or gears grinding as he went down the hill so I ruled that out. A deer hitting the house?  Or snow falling off the roof on to the deck?  Maybe.  There was heat blowing thru the register next to my bed so the furnace hadn't blown up.  I couldn't think of anything else so I took a clue from the dog and rolled over and went back to sleep. When I got up a little while ago I found out what had caused the noise...the miniature shelf in the kitchen had come apart and fallen.  It had been made out of a type drawer...actually a drawer and a half...and had been glued together for 20-25 years ago and the glue finally dried out.  Most of the miniatures are either wood, pottery, ceramic  or metal and never stayed in place until I glued them in.  That seemed to have saved most of them from breaking!  There are plenty of softies, too, mini-dolls 
and animals that Mom had made for the shop...a lot of the mini's came from the shop!! Craft pieces made by old friends that are no longer with us.  I guess it's time...to clean this section with some Q-tips ...and decide what pieces from the other section I want to keep and reassemble the unit!  I knew it was dusty but looking down at it with the lights...wow, it's worse than just dusty!!!
   Today is Jeff's birthday.  He's 62 years old.  Not bad for an old man.  Here's wishing him many more birthdays!  Usually we do a small dinner party but this year we decided to wait a couple of weeks until the weather gets better so I'm cooking just for us today. We went out for supper Friday and Jeff got carrot cake for dessert to take home so I crossed that off as a birthday dessert.  I got 2 pieces of cheesecake instead.  When his sister and my cousin come for the birthday dinner I'll have to do something semi-fancy for dessert.  Suggestions? Please???
  (I've got about 2" left to go on the 2nd sock for Jeff's birthday.  Actually, they're a replacement pair.  I was mending the originals and Fanny decided to 'help' and now I can't find one of those socks!) 
(actually it's 8:17am, 3/1/2015)
   

No comments: