Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Subaru I Don't Like

      When I first started at the library I drove a Subaru Impreza...a cute, little hatchback that was too small for anything. We had a hard time getting our gear in it when we went to camp and Mom and I had a harder time getting our stock in it when we did shows.  It was hard to handle with a mind of it's own.  A real 'voom, voom' car!  I ended up totaling it during a rain storm when the drains on Rte 5S going into Utica were blocked and the street was flooded.  I lost control of the car and bounced it off the guardrail as I drove in early morning traffic on my way to Mid-York for a meeting one day.  It took all my strength to keep from hitting the cars on my right...that's why I kept hitting the guard rail!  I avoided Imprezas in all the years since until this summer when Matt at HillSlide (on Rte 5 just before Little Falls) offered me a good deal on a 2004...the price and the condition blinded me to the fact that it was an Impreza.  Jeff thought it was too small but since we don't have the camp anymore and I'm not doing shows I thought it might work out for me. WRONG.
    Jeff pointed out early this winter that the Impreza wasn't very stable and he dumped about 100 lbs of lead that he found in the garage on the floor in the back to correct that.  That helped to stabilize the rear end some but I still had to watch the speed...that little car thinks it's a race car and goes from 0-60 in no time at all!  I noticed that it fishtails easily and doesn't do curves real well.  
   This morning I had an appointment at 10:20 am to have my fingerstuck...a simple blood test to check my clotting factor.  Fanny and I left the house at 9:45 am and slid off the driveway into the field as the Impreza turned towards the mailboxes.  I tried to get back on the driveway but all I did was dig the car deeper into the snow.  It was a nice soft, wet snow that was good packing.  At first I couldn't even get the driver's door open!  After I calmed down a little I called Jen my Nurse at Bassett and told her what had happened and changed my appointment until tomorrow. (You don't want to have your INR tested right after an upsetting incident coz it causes a false reading.)  Then I called Jeff and woke him up and told him what happened.  And I started kicking the door until it opened enough for me to get out!  I got around to the other side of the car and got Fanny out and we went inside to wait for Jeff but I was so nervous I couldn't sit still!  After I put on a pot of coffee I got the shovel and cleaned off the stoop and the stairs.  Jeff was there by then and I hooked Fanny up outside and we started to try to move the car.  It took 2 1/2 hrs, many tries pulling it with the Outback, using the come-along with the telephone pole as a lever and digging around the tires before Jeff got the Impreza free of the snow and  I was finally able to drive it out the driveway, turn it around and drive it back in and park it between the house and the garage.  But I was still so upset I asked Jeff to take me grocery shopping because I didn't want to drive the damn car!  He wanted to drive it anyway to make sure nothing was damaged with all the pulling.  Now I've got all night to think about driving that demon car tomorrow morning so I can have the blood test.  Only good thing is that it's suppose to get below freezing tonight and the driveway should harden up and be ok to drive on... except maybe for the 4 wheel holes on the far side of the driveway that didn't fill in very well. 
   But the Impreza remains the only Subaru I don't like.  

No comments: