Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ah, Life...

           Fanny thinks changing my bed is a game and I have to plan carefully to get the job done.   This is because she 'buries' treasures in her half of the bed...at least between the top cover and the blankets and under the pillows.  You never know what that bump is...a Nylar bone, a tennis ball that she can squeak, dog biscuits for later or a small log to chew on in the middle of the night!  (Better than the bumps...mice nests...we could find in our beds at camp.)  One day last week when Jeff was here I quickly stripped the bed while he entertained the dog but I forgot to remake it until after he had gone home.  It was bedtime before I realized I had to make my bed with a dog 'helping'!  I tried putting her outside on her lead but she got back onto the porch (how???) and that meant the outside door was swinging open and that was an invitation to small rodents.   I brought her in and waited for her to fall asleep in Jeff's chair...which she did quickly (she plays so hard with Jeff that's one night I know she'll sleep straight thru no matter how many deer come into the yard!).  I knew I had to work quickly so I threw all the blankets on the floor at the foot of the bed with the pillows on top of them and got the sheets on the mattress and the survival/space sheet spread out on my side of the bed. I put the pillows and shams across the head of the mattress and tucked the top sheet in on Fanny's side of the bed.  I pulled the blankets up over the sheets and smoothed them across the queen size mattress and then reached for the quilt.  I got tangled in the quilt and the comforters and fell on my hands and knees across the floor at the bottom of the bed.  Boy, was I glad there were still 2 comforters and a full size blanket on the floor! (All the floors in my house are old hardwood, oak, and, let me tell you, they are hard when you fall on them! And no, Fanny did not come to see what fell.)  My knees were sore but nothing seemed out of place so I finished the bed and didn't think about it any more.  Then over the weekend I tripped in the woodshed and banged into what's left of the woodpile. I limped back to the house with my bags of wood but again I didn't think about it.  I just chalked up my growing aches and pains to the way my legs always feel this time of year. Granted they've gotten worse since I broke my leg in 2009 but, hey, I am getting older....  Anyway, after I took a shower yesterday and was putting lotion on my feet (since I spent those weeks in that cast in 2009 my skin has been so dry I feel like I'm a reptile shedding skin!) I noticed that the middle toe on my right foot was black and blue and slightly swollen and the discoloring and swelling ran down the center of my foot. I must have done something in one of those trips but it's too late to do anything about it now.  
     (I noticed today that by pulling the top sheet up and tucking it and the blankets in on Fanny's side of the bed, and then covering them with the quilt and comforter and a pile of pillows, Fanny sleeps in the pillows and does not get down to the sheets.  She looks like 'the princess and the pea' on top of the pillows but the sheets are doggie smell-free. Pillow cases are easier to change than those queen sheets! What a life my dog has!)
    My computer continues to cause problems and is at the top of the list of things to be replaced.  Right now it has lost 3 drivers including the printer and speaker.  I'm also having problems with the phone and expect to lose that any day since it goes thru the PC. (I still have my cell and Jeff's answering service.) The shop reopens April 3rd and I'm hoping we have a great season so I can replace the pc soon!!  I still haven't gotten batteries for the camera...I refuse to buy 8 when I need 2!

No comments: