Friday, February 27, 2015

A Day At Home

     Jeff and I spent the afternoon together yesterday just hanging around talking and drinking coffee. It was a nice day.  He took Fanny out for some exercise  and came in in agreement with me...she's forgotten what 'stay in the yard' means.  The temptation from the deer tracks was too great for her to resist.  It took quite awhile before she came back and now she's back 'on lead, only'.   She pulled the same stunt on me the day before when we had gone to Hanniford but I had gotten some chicken nuggets at BK and she smelled them all the way home.  When I let her off the lead I showed her the bag of nuggets and reminded her they were her 'treats'.  I took my groceries in the house and then went back out with the bag and called her a few more times.  I had to shake the bag a bit and it did take some time but she came back when it dawned on her what the 'treats' I was yelling about were. Jeff didn't have any treats to bribe her with but he's never needed them before, either.  He wasn't too happy with her.  Jeff also discovered that the oilman isn't the only one who's been using the path he plowed around the house.  Jeff said there were fox, squirrel, rabbit, coyote and of course, deer track in the path that runs around the house from the driveway back to the private road to Wally's house. No wonder Fanny's been going crazy at night running thru the house at night barking!  The path must have been busy with all the critters using it.  It's a whole lot easier that trying to dig thru the snow! The cedar tree outside the big window in the TV room looks like someone's trimmed it's lower branches.  I can't believe the deer have been that close!  The apple tree in the middle of the garden has been left alone so far this year.  Jeff thinks this might be because the plowed path kept the deer away from the garden and because the garden is made up of raised boxes and the growth supports are mainly still there and visible.  There's not enough room for the deer to move around between the boxes in the snow!  Hopefully, that will help the tree to flower and produce apples this year.
   Sunday, March 1st is Jeff's birthday and usually I do a fancy dinner party for him but this year I'm still coughing, sneezing and blowing my runny nose with a cold and Jeff's trying to cut back on smoking...and doing a great job already having cut his tobacco intake by more than half...and  taking Chantix which affects his appetite and makes him a little anti-social so we decided to wait a couple of weeks until we both feel better.  My cousin Ed's birthday is later in March and we'll combine the birthdays and I'll do a big dinner then with a fancy birthday dessert.   Instead, I'll do a special  dinner for just the 2 of us and  Jeff won't have to pick a birthday dessert but will end up with 2 special desserts!  And maybe the weather will cooperate and we'll get snowed in together Sunday night.

No comments: