Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Mystery Solved

     I think I may have finally solved the mystery of what Fanny's been barking at.  Yesterday after another restless night of coughing and little sleep, I got up around 6am to go to the bathroom.  As long as I was awake, I decided to make a cuppa and wrapped up in a blanket in the TV room to enjoy my tea. Fanny soon joined me...or at least tried to...ever have a 70+ lb dog sit in your lap?  Eventually she moved to Jeff's chair which also has a good view of the cemetery and trees and started barking.  I turned around just in time to see a deer go out of sight into the cemetery...and another come out of the woods behind Wally's garage.  And another!  A parade of deer!  7 or 8 in all!  They were smart enough to avoid my property... completely entering the cemetery on the Smallsbush Rd side of us and coming out of the woods beyond us!  No wonder it upset Fanny.  They were ignoring her completely.  She must have felt left out!  I promised to make it up to her so after the mail came we went for a ride...to pick up the mail and get some keeenix...and I got her some chicken nuggets (10 for $1.49 at BK).  It's snowed the rest of the day...about 6 or 7" worth...and Fanny's been sleeping...and dreaming about deer??   
   Today Jeff's been here clearing snow and he pointed out the deer tracks across the backyard, under the cedar tree...that's just outside the TV room!...and around the other evergreens that weren't here yesterday. The deer have been right up to the windows and deck nibbling on the lower branches of the evergreens!  Fanny's been spooked all day,too.  I won't be surprised to see deer outside the window.  The cedar's going to have to have a major trimming this spring.  I wonder if the deer are eating the lilacs and rose of sharon's, too.
   I think I'll try to do some knit on a pair of socks for Jeff's birthday next week.  College hoops on TV have been pretty bad this weekend. Golf's on now.   Hey, maybe Fanny's got the right idea. Napping by the fire may be the answer.

updated 4:14pm 2/22/2015
   


No comments: