Sunday, January 4, 2015

Oh, What A Night!

   Like most couples our age, Jeff and I don't go out as much as we use to...and when we do it's usually something special.  Well, last night was one of those 'special nights'.  Jeff was here for supper and was kind of quiet.  It was obvious he wasn't feeling well.  He said his right side felt kind of numb all day...like he had gotten a king size shot of novacaine.  It had worn off but still didn't feel right.  Finally around 7:30 he suggested a trip to the Little Falls ER to rule out anything serious.  Now, if you remember, last night we had a wintry mix...snow, sheet, freezing rain and the roads were lousy.  But I  drove slowly...very slowly...to the hospital.  Jeff kept saying if they kept him overnight I'd have to drive home alone and I kept saying no, I'd stay with him till morning. (That was not true love, that was pure fear.  I wasn't going to drive anywhere again in that last night!)  His BP was high at first but came down after awhile...a little 'white coat' fever? Anyway, after a couple of hours in the ER they let him go home.  All test results were OK and it was probably just reaction to his meds.   Better safe than sorry, anyway, Jeff drove home!
   When we got home, we found that the dog had had a party.  Cleaned out the garbage pail.  Shredded cardboard and eggshells everywhere...even in bed!  She ate the rest of the stale, hard-as-rocks Christmas cookies that I had thrown away!  Had one of my shoes and one of my work gloves as 'party favors' (but didn't chew on them).  And was so-o-o glad to see us.  We were only gone for 2 1/2 hours!  She kept trying to sit on my lap (remember she weighs 70 lbs) or getting between Jeff's legs and the chair.  She knew he wasn't mad at her but she wasn't sure about me.  After everyone calmed down and had a snack...including a glass of wine for me...we went to bed...with the dog in the middle!  It was a restless night for the humans. Jeff kept getting up to check what was going on when he heard the snow & ice slide off the roof as the temperature warmed up and it came crashing down, and I kept waking up when my stuffy nose won and I couldn't breath without wheezing but the dog slept like a...dog...safe and content with her people next to her.

No comments: