Monday, January 5, 2015

No Power!?!

      Last night as I was getting ready to go to bed the electricity went off.  Came on and went off again.  Since I had already turned off many of the lights there wasn't much more I could do there.  I grabbed my cell phone (no electricity means no land phone service)and both rechargeable flashlights  and called Jeff.   He suggested that the dog and I come down to his apartment for the night.  Now that didn't appeal much to me for several reasons...the highway was dark--the power outage was pretty widespread--no street lights or stop lights;  if I parked on the street in front of his building I'd end up with a parking ticket and if I parked behind his building I'd have to walk thru the alley/driveway to the front door...even if he met me in the parking lot; and the tub in his bathroom is still leaking into the apartment below his so it can't be used. And finally, my house would be without heat...what would happen to the water pipes?  If I stayed home and the power stayed off I could keep a fire going in the stove and that might help...wouldn't it?  Jeff offered to come up but I knew after our trip to the ER the night before he really wanted to spend the night alone in this own bed.  He called National Grid to find out how long the outage would possibly last and called me back to say they estimated it would be back on around 3am.  So I crawled into bed and pulled the covers up. Fanny stretched out next to me and we went to sleep.      
   Everything was fine until I tried to roll over and found out that all this time I had been accusing the wrong bed partner of hogging the blankets!  Fanny would not let me have any of the blankets that would have covered Jeff if he had been there.  The dog did not want me to use his blankets!!  I ended up getting another blanket...it was easier and quicker than fighting with the dog!
   I woke up around 5am when the furnace came on and different appliances started beeping...to tell me they were back on!  I quickly reset the kitchen stove and microwave...to silence the beeping...and turned off the PC and dryer and various lights and went back to bed.  Jeff called around 7:30am to make sure everything was working. I was asleep again but gave up and got up.  There wasn't any mention of the power outage on the local news this morning so maybe it wasn't as wide spread as they thought it was last night.  Today we had a series of snow storms with whiteouts.   So far we've gotten 3-4" of snow...covering 1-2" of ice.  It's cold, too.  Glad I didn't have to go anywhere. Jeff was here this    afternoon and the dog didn't want to stay outside and play with him for every long!  Got to keep remembering, Easter is only 3 months away!



No comments: