Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Shop

I worked in the shop in Cooperstown yesterday...my first  time this year.  Only 18 more to go!!  There was a note from the previous day's crafter on the desk asking questions about the lavender potpourri bundles whose aroma was penetrating the room...actually hitting me between the eyes when I opened the door!  The aroma lessened as the cold morning air slowly made its way into the shop...but the chill that replaced it made it necessary to turn the heat on.  Going in and out, doing opening chores helped too, and it became bearable to be in the store.  The few customers who came in all commented on the 'lovely aroma' that greeted them.  After adding to and straightening my display, I spent the morning looking out for the plumber who was suppose to stop in.
My Display


Blacksheep Cardigan & Hoodie

BB Hoodies

Baby Socks
 Judy came in with 100 gift certificates that had to be put in envelopes...they will be distributed at a charity function later this week.  She had spent about 4 hours the night before stamping the envelopes with a beautiful floral design and another crafter had designed the certificates on her computer. I kept mentioning...no, complaining about the lavender aroma but Judy couldn't smell it.  She finally gave up waiting for the plumber to show and went on to her other errands promising to stop back before she went home.  As soon as she left, the plumber walked in.  I showed him the problem in the bathroom and the hole in the outside wall.  He'd call Judy and arrange things.  About 10 mins after he left, she came back and I gave her the news.  I had taken his cell number and she was able to call him and make the arrangements for the repairs he'd do later in the week.  Well, later was sooner and the plumber was back in no time!  His other job was finished and he thought he'd work ours in.  We were all certain he'd have to replace the wax ring on the toilet but after a flush or two and enlarging the hole in the outside wall, he came in and said it was done. The sewer pipe had become disconnected and that was an easy repair. If the wet spot in the bathroom didn't dry out Judy's to call him and he would replace the wax ring.  Now all she has to do is find someone to fix the hole in the wall.  (Besides our quilter, Judy is our landlord.)  By then it was time for lunch and I had brought  PBJ and an apple so I decided to eat and read my Robert Parker novel...one in the Jessie Stone series. Just reading the dialogue conjured up images of Tom Selleck in my mind!  And the book had been done before the movie...I wonder if Parker wrote it with him in mind?  Anyway, it was a light read and I stuck with it and the book was finished by 3pm.  I was forced then to start that skein of yellow that's been talking to me for days while resting on my footstool.  I had told Judy about it and she suggested a child's shrug.  The ones I had done last year had gone very well...and the crafter who does the sundresses had asked if I was going to do more this season so I decided to start one.  For the next 2 hours I tried to start the simple v-neck raglan...from the neck down...that would grow into a size 4 shrug but I couldn't do it.  I'm blaming the lavender aroma...no, by now it was a smell...on my migraine, complete with flashing aura and growing nausea, that was developing.  Haven't had one that bad in a long time. And don't want another.  Managed to screw up the book-work for the day...with only 3 sales you have to wonder how I did that.  (The lavender induced migraine gets the credit).  Finally it was 5pm or close enough to close up and head for home.  The ride in the sun-warmed car with the window open and the local country station on the radio helped the headache fade.  I was in a hurry to get home.  I had left Jeff with Fanny...and a crockpot of stew...in the morning and I wanted to see how they all made out.  (Fanny ran away when my car drove in...Jeff said she whined a lot when I first left but then realized she had "Freedom" with him there and enjoyed the day.  He had worked on his compost barrel but wasn't totally pleased with it's outcome so he went back to cutting wood.  I was disappointed with the stew...not very thick so I made/added a rue and in a few minutes we were enjoying my spicy stew.  Not too bad w/o carrots, either.)  I guess we were all exhausted coz it was an early night for all 3 of us.

I think I'm going to bake a cake this morning and try starting my shrug again. Jeff's friend never picked him up Sunday to get those salvaged 2x4's so he might show up today, otherwise, it compost bins and wood piles for him.  I think it's still suppose to rain tomorrow, so it will be a day off.  YEA!

No comments: