Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Greenhouse, pt 2

Jeff wanted to work on the greenhouse today but there was so much else to do!  Since he had finished cutting up the last load of pallets yesterday...creating a large pile of wood for me to stack...he wanted to collect more today while it was dry...rain is predicted for tomorrow.  While hitching up the trailer, he discovered that 1 tail light was blown...and the other was cracked but worked.  He's wanted to change the trailer lights since we got the thing but now just wasn't the right time!  By the time he got back with about half a load of pallets, I had mixed up some whole wheat bread.  The last time I had made some the yeast didn't proof and I ended up with hard tack.  Hopefully I'd have better luck this time!  After taking time to have some coffee and bring a full wheelbarrow of cut wood on to the porch for me to stack,  Jeff went to work on the greenhouse.  He had done the ridgepole per the directions  but wasn't happy with the results.  He thinks he should have used a slightly larger metal conduit inside the pvc one so he decided to add a wooden one to add stability.  Only none of the 2x4's we have was long enough so he had to piece it.  Every time he went into the garage to cut another piece of wood (with the cleaned up and re-assembled table saw!), he refilled the wheelbarrow and brought it back on to the porch.  (I think I  can put one more load of wood on the stack but after
The out-of-plumb ends
that I'm afraid it might be too high and unstable.)  Jeff did discovered that the ends of the greenhouse aren't plumb either, although he's been using a level.  In fact, at the crosspiece, one end is wider than the other!  If the greenhouse isn't plumb who's going to notice once it's covered with plastic?  Jeff keeps saying it isn't pretty but who says a greenhouse has to be pretty?  Or plumb?  Besides, my father loved to build things but always pointed out that he was a CB not a carpenter and I grew up with things not always pretty or plumb but stable and useful!  Now Jeff's ready to add a window to one out-of-plumb end and build a sliding door for the other but they will have to wait until some other things get done...like rain barrels and the new compost bin.

Oh, my bread came out perfect...and I don't usually like whole wheat!


No comments: