Tuesday, April 30, 2013

One More Month is Done

Well, April is about over.  It's been a month of ups and downs.  The weather has been all over the map from cold 'wintery mix' to warm, sunny days with not much rain.  Jeff's got the new compost bin finished and about half of the compost from the old bin transferred as well as the new greenhouse framed and a start on the pallet planting beds.  And we've got a head start on firewood for next winter...if I stop insisting on a small fire to chase the evening chill.  Our main problem has been too many days until the 1st so work has just about stopped on everything that requires a visit to Lowe's to continue.  That and Jeff's annual Spring fling with his back.  I don't know how he keeps going some days with the pain!  Hopefully the medical procedure scheduled for early June will make a difference.

Jeff's got seeds sprouting under the grow lights...beans, tomatoes, peppers, you name it but I haven't got my herbs started yet.  The catnip he planted in the raised boxes last year is doing very well, and I have parsley growing in the herb box but not oregano which is suppose to be the perennial!  Tomorrow we're planning on visiting The Brick House Greenhouse outside of Frankfort (from Frankfort...go up Cemetery Hill, take a left on to Albany  Rd and then a right on to Roberts Rd)...which Jeff found on line.  They have a tomato called 'Mr Stripey' which is suppose to have orange and red stripes inside and out. Jeff thinks it will go well with our red carrots, purple peppers and brown tomatoes.  Can't say our garden isn't colorful!

Mom is not too happy at Valley Health.  She isn't getting the amount of attention she thought she would get there.  She has lost the strength in her legs and can't transfer without the aides using the lift, and she had started to develop a 'bedsore' from sitting all the time so they're letting her lay down more now (she likes that!).  Her vision has failed a lot, too, so she doesn't watch much tv.  She does enjoy the church services and being able to receive Communion regularly.  And she plays Bingo!  Jeff and I are planning on having dinner with her on Mother's Day (only $7 apiece).  She enjoys visitors and receiving cards.  It's tough being 99.

Business in Cooperstown has been slow this spring but hopefully it will pick up when the tourists start hitting town.  I finished that yellow shrug and ripped it out twice.  It just wasn't finishing the way I had hoped.  It's still on the needles but this is my last try for perfection. I just don't like making anything bigger than a size 4 and this is a 6.  I'm crocheting a pink pig that is coming out ok...but I can't get safety eyes for it at Walmart. I don't know if I want to make a special trip to Utica or just use buttons.  I found a pattern for a crochet evening bag that I might try...or not.  It just might be time for a break...to do yard work.  Well, see.

No comments: