Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Animal Hats...Update #1

   The responses I got to the photos of the Fox Helmet I made for Maggie's granddaughter has encouraged me to make some of those animal helmets for the shop. So I've been busy knitting and I have 3 critters growing in my project bag.  
    Of course, there's another Fox. All the parts for the fox are finished and I just have to sew the hat together.  I tried something different when I knit the ears and I think they look a little different...even better, maybe?  I was able to find black bulky yarn at Walmart this week and the outer ears is now done with that.
   The 2nd critter in the bag...and the 1st new one...is the Rabbit.  I got the last of the gray bulky
Rabbit Helmet waiting for its' lining (11/1/19)
yarn  Walmart had on display and a pale pink for the inner ears and nose.  It took a couple of tries with different needle sizes to get the nose and cheeks to look right.  (Jeff says he's never seen a rabbit with a pink nose.)  The eyes may be a little too high but this is the 1st one and once Super Glue dries...that's the way things are!     edited 11/1/19

   The 3rd critter bears little resemblance to the picture with the pattern. 
This helmet needs a lining, too. (11/1019)
That hat wasn't a helmet but a skull cap and I really like these helmets with ear flaps much better.  Anyway, the 3rd critter is the Beagle.  Zoey was nice enough to pose for it most of last night...I studied her ears...their shape, where they're attached to her head and how big they are...as she napped in the chair next to me while I knit.  This beagle isn't tri-color like Zoey, more like Snoopy ...black and white and I'm hoping at least one person looks at it and yells out "SNOOPY!" (or at least thinks that!) If that happens then I know my design is spot-on!  Don't know if it looks like a beagle but this one does look like a dog!  Jeff still wants me to try to do a tri-color one but I'm not that good!  edited 11/1/19.

   All the animal helmets are hand-knit on US 10 1/2 and 11 needles using Lion Brand's Hometown USA,  a super bulky 100% acrylic yarn that is machine wash and dryable.  They are lined with 100% cotton flannel fabric.  The eyes are wiggle eyes super glued onto flat buttons that were sewed in place first.  All 3 helmets have I-cord to tie their ear-flaps together.  And the Fox and the Rabbit have a yarn pompom on the the ends of the cord to represent their tails.  (The beagle has just the I-cord.) The patterns are all based on what I found in the book "Animal Hats" by Vanessa Mooncie that I got thru the MidYork Library system.  Of course, I made 'adjustments' and 'alterations' to the directions but that just makes these hats more original.
   Since Walmart had such a poor display of bulky yarn the other day I made sure I got enough so I can make another of each of these 3 critters in case they sell quickly.  (Keep those fingers and toes crossed, ok?)  I think they may make cute Christmas presents and I know one young lady who's getting one for her birthday. (Maggie's granddaughter's, Nora, birthday is tomorrow and I didn't know that when I made the hat for her!)
   This posting was edited and added to on Sat., 11/2/19.

No comments: