Monday, November 4, 2019

Animal Helmets, II

   The Animal Helmets are finished...at last! 
There were times this last week when I didn't think that would happen.  One reason is that bulky yarn isn't my favorite weight to work with and the needles are so big is another!  The old ones I have...straights...are so long I kept getting them stuck up my shirt sleeves! Jeff suggested I buy some new circulars...I already had gotten a new circular 10 1/2's at Walmart but I didn't want to spend $9 for big metal circulars if these hats don't sell.  I  found a pair of straight US 11's...Susan Bates, wooden and 14" long...in the old needle box that Mom and I used.  It came in handy for other things too...like snagging the skein of yarn without getting up out of the chair and reaching the crochet hook when it fell under the ottoman.
   I put the linings in Saturday night and yesterday.  I sewed in all linings to the ear-flaps first and then fitted the helmet linings to the helmet.  That took some time because each lining had to be fitted to each helmet individually and sewed around the bottom of the hat.  Then I tacked the linings to the helmets around the noses and ears.  Last came the pompoms.   I decided to put poms on the dog, too, because it looked unfinished without them.  Jeff suggested I do the black and white poms there.
   I checked the yarn department at Walmart again yesterday and it's still fairly empty.  I think I have enough yarn to do 3 more hats...1 of each...on the off chance that these 3 do sell...so please keep those fingers and toes crossed!  Now it's time to clean house a little (oh, my, did I actually say that?) and then start a sweater or maybe work on socks.  Anything as long as the needles are short, no larger than US 7's and are circular!
   The helmets were just picked up and are headed to Richfield Springs.  Maggie will take them to the shop tomorrow or Wednesday.  Thanks, Maggie!

Zoey saying "Good-bye" to the Animal Hats.


No comments: