Tuesday, October 1, 2019

And Then??

   Monday morning Sherry and I went back to the hospital in Cooperstown but we had a hard time finding a parking place in the lot closest to the hospital and we were too late to see Jeff's doctor or be there for his echo cardiogram.  The doctor decided on the results of the echo cardiogram that Jeff needed a cardiac catherization and possible have some stents inserted.  Jeff was not happy with the prognosis.  At first he refused to sign the release and although he finally signed it, he insisted on keeping his DNR order in place.  (Most doctors...especially cardiologists do not like DNR orders!)  The procedure was scheduled for that afternoon and Jeff continued on IV/Heparin and fasting.  
   Just before 2pm the cardio nurses came up for Jeff and allowed us to go down to the catherization with him.  While the procedure was being preformed on him, Sherry and I went to the cafeteria and ate cold fish sandwiches.  (UCK!)  I had a cup of cappuccino, too.  We didn't have long to wait for Jeff to be brought back into the recovery room after we got back to the cath waiting room. He wasn't too worse for wear except his left arm was a little numb and he had trouble raising/moving it.  He managed to hold on to a cup of coffee and we left him sitting up waiting for his promised roast beef sandwich.  I talked to him later that night and he said he felt better.  His arm was working ok and he didn't have any pain.  I was exhausted by 9pm and gave up and went to bed.  I tried to read some more of McCullough's Truman but didn't get far.  The dogs woke me up to go outside around midnight and then we all went back to sleep. 
   I overslept a little this morning and was just barely ready when Sherry got here just before 9am.  I was sure we'd get to see the cardiologist this morning but he beat us there again and when we walked into Jeff's room he had started getting ready to go home.  The cardiologist had OK-ed him for discharge! The RN came in and told him he could remove all the stickers and bandaids...except the IV...and get dressed.  She came back in a few minutes and took out the IV and told him he was first on the discharge list!  A lady from dietary came in then and took his lunch order and then a tech from cardiology to explained how his blood thinner Rx  (Plavix) worked, to schedule a couple of appointments (1 in Little Falls and 1 in Herkimer) and to change his  cardiologist.  (He also explained what stents were made of and how they were inserted...Jeff had 4 done yesterday!)  Jeff stripped the sheets from his bed and put all the dirty laundry in the laundry bin.  Then he walked around the halls for awhile and talked with the guy in the next bed. 
   Around 11:30, Jeff put on his hat, grabbed his bag and headed towards the elevator.  (That's enough waiting!)  Sherry went after him and I headed to the nurse's station.  Jeff made it onto an elevator and was gone before Sherry caught up to him.  When I told the RN that Jeff had left she said 'But he can't!'
I just turned around and headed towards the elevator...so did an aide but he didn't try to follow him down.  
   I caught up with Jeff outside and when Sherry caught up with us we just walked to the car and drove away.  On the way home I called our PA's nurse and told her what happened, asking if she could find out where the Rx would be waiting.  I also called my lab nurse to reschedule the INR I was suppose to have today and when she called me back she was able to help me locate the Rx...at WalGreen's.
   The dogs were definitely happy to see Jeff home again.  There was a lot of jumping and barking!  Fanny had stolen a bag of cheese curls from the kitchen table and left it on Jeff's bed and someone had pulled the window curtain down, bending the curtain rod in my room.  Everyone is happy he's home.  I guess there is never a dull moment around here but I could do with a few less. 

No comments: