Saturday, October 19, 2019

Knitting and Old Friends

   I had a really nice visit with an old friend, Maggie Schanz, on Friday.  She stopped by to pick up a bag of hat and mittens to take to the shop for me.  She surprised me with a bag of yarn that she got at the thrift shop...I think its the SPCA shop in Cooperstown.  It's not the first time she found yarn for me there but this time it was the best!  That teal 
ball of bulky yarn is definitely calling to me...'make 
me into a hat!' it's saying in case you don't understand yarn.  I went on Ravelry.com today and found a pattern for a child's tam that called for bulky so I think that'll be my next project. I think I'll use the outside color from the Sweet Roll in the bottom row on the left for the band.  It matches almost exactly!

  But before that, this morning I had cast on for another child's watch cap/Fair Isle hat, this one with hearts worked in around the hat.  I'm using another one of the Premier Sweet Rolls I got yesterday in my order from Herrschner's.  This one is called 'Bubble Pop'.
The hat is finished. 
I just have to decide if I want to put a pompom on it...probably...maybe just pink and white?  Then it will be time for mittens.  These sets will fit 3-4 yr olds.  I'm enjoying  working with this Sweet Roll yarn.  I like the feel and the way it knits up. I'll post a photo of both sets when they're finished.
   Maggie brought Jeff a sugar-free apple pie that we're both enjoying.  I noticed that a 'large mouse' had taken quite a hunk out of it for his midnight snack last night.  She also brought a bag of apples.  I think I may have to make an apple crisp.  Yesterday I made a carrot cake because I found a Duncan Hines box mix on sale at Hanneford's last week.  I was a little disappointed.  The cake didn't rise very much.  Jeff said my 9 x 13 cake pan is really bigger than that (it is) but other cake mixes fill it up.  I think the 'large' eggs Jeff bought weren't really 'large' at all.  Oh, well, we're eating it any way.  In fact, between the carrot cake...with cream cheese frosting, and the apple pie...that's about all I've eaten today!  Oh, yea and a big bowl of Cheerios for breakfast.  Go near the cake and both dogs materialize by your side.  (Last night I used the cake with a nice dollop of frosting to give Fanny her Benadryl.  Zoey got the cake and frosting without the antihistamine.  Since that was just after I had to take another tick off of Fanny, I felt she deserved a treat.  Zoey felt she did, too, just on general principles.)  
   My hat and mittens were greeted warmly at the shop.  Hope they sell quickly!  I'll probably mail the 2 or 3 sets I get done this weekend.  Oh...I was surprised in the shop...one of the knit toddler dresses I did sold yesterday.  I really enjoyed those dresses.  One was pink and one yellow.  The yellow one sold.  At last...something besides a hat sold!
    

No comments: