Wednesday, August 28, 2019

This is August?


     I got two sweaters finished last week and, thanks to Marion, on their way to the shop.  The first one is a size 1 Fair Isle cardigan, knit from the neck-down with Mary Maxim's Baby Blankie, a self-patterning acrylic, in "Bluebells".  I have to 'cut and paste' the 
yarn to get  the pattern to end evenly but it works out pretty well.  I thought I had blue buttons for this sweater but when I went to sew them on in the morning I realized they were green so I used the white pearly ones.  The second sweater is another
raglan knit from the neck down, this time with Red
Heart's 'Perfect Pink' in 
a design I called 'Flowers and Lace'.  The flowers are embroidered in purple and have yellow french knots for centers.  The leaves are done in spring green.  It is a size 2.  Both sweaters are hand-knit with acrylic yarn and are machine wash and dry-able.  My sweater display was pretty heavy with 'little boy' sweaters so these two girly sweaters should lighten things up!  (Marion was scheduled to work this week so I asked her if she could stop by and pick them up for me.  Saved me a trip to Cooperstown!)
   With those sweaters on their way, I started a Christmas sweater in size 4.  It's with Red Heart Turqua and has a lady snowman on the front.  But as I was working on it I was reminded that my hat display was rather empty so I put that aside and started making hats.  I did 6 hats in 2 days and boy, did the tendinitis in my left hand disagree with this move!  I did a new design...a rolled brim with a bow but the bow is knit into the hatband. (I was cold and 

I guess I was thinking of winter coz this is definitely a winter hat!)  Then it was time for pumpkin hats and finally, baseball hats.  The baseball hat is the only one that requires special attention after it's knit.  The stitching is embroidered.  With the hats finished I decided not to bother Marion
again but to mail them to Judy.  Since the 6 hats weighed less than 1 lb they could go First Class mail for a little more than $4. (A good deal!)  In 2 days my hat display will be a lot more full than it is right now!  I had to have my monthly INR done yesterday so I went to the post office afterwards and sent them on their way.  (I really prefer going to the clinic and having the INR done rather than doing the self-testing.  It's faster.  When I was self-testing, I had to do it twice a month no matter what the last test result was.  Now as long as I stay in range, I can go a month between tests.)
  My hands hurt so much yesterday I didn't knit at all.  I spent most of the afternoon after I got home reading a book with my left hand clutching a hot cup of coffee or wrapped in my heatable bean bag.  It feels a lot better today but I think I'll still take today off and not knit.  Maybe by tomorrow I'll knit.  I want to finish that Christmas sweater so I can take it to the shop when I work next week. Besides my cousin Ed is coming over for supper tonight and I should clean the house a little.  At least sweep the floor.  Maybe even shut some of these windows, too!  It sure doesn't feel like the end of August.  I almost expected to see frost on the leaves this morning! 
   Oh, Jeff's fishing trip with his brother and nephew got postponed.  His nephew's business got busy and they couldn't take the time off.  They're planning on trying again in September.   Ocean fishing in late September?  Sounds cold to me! 

No comments: