Sunday, August 11, 2019

An Unusual Day

   Today has been an unusual day.  Jeff decided he had had enough waiting for the mice that have infested our little house in the little wood to find the D-con, eat it and died.  We've had to be especially careful where we put the packets of D-con because Zoey is small enough to go under a lot of the furniture in the house and she is really into chasing the mice!  Yesterday he came home with some mouse traps and baited 4 of them last night with peanut butter and put them on the kitchen counter...1 next to the Ronco rotisserie, 2 in front of  the bread machine and 1 behind the crock pot.  This morning he had 2 dead mice.  He reset the traps and within an hour or so he got another.  Later in the afternoon we heard a trap snap, but that mouse wouldn't die.  It kept flopping around...scarring Zoey something awful!  Jeff tried to put the mouse in the garbage pail but it jumped when he released the trap and ran away.  (Great,huh?)   Anyway, the 4 traps are set again and hopefully we'll get some more tonight.  Jeff said he wished trapping had been this easy when he use to walk a line.  I just want to get rid of the majority of the mice then I'll go back to using D-con and hopefully that will keep them gone!
   This morning our washing machine refused to work so Jeff watched a couple of videos on YouTube and started to take it apart.  We found almost $1 in coins in the trap and a some ducktape!  He got the washer to drain properly but it still won't go thru a cycle.  He said at supper tonight he wants to turn it around and open the back and see if he can find what's going on in there.  I just want to finish the load of laundry that's in the machine!!  Even if I have to go to the laundomat!!
   While Jeff was working on the washer, I was knitting by my bedroom window and a NYS trooper car drove up and parked across from our house.  I told Jeff we had 'unusual' company and went to answer the door. It was a very nice woman officer.  Zoey couldn't wait to get outside to get close to her but Fanny didn't want anything to do with her...a stranger...as usual.  It seems a man was seen jogging on our road with his dog when he ran into the yard of a house and put his dog in the dog pen that was in the yard and left him there.  There was a car waiting for the jogger on the road and they drove off.  Later the jogger came back and released the dog and they left together.  The owner of the house has security cameras up and got this all on tape!  The officer wanted to know if we could ID the man or dog or had noticed either of them on the road.  (No, to all questions.)  The house is on the other end of our road and while I knew who lived there years ago, I'm not sure they are still the owners.  It's fairly close to Little Falls and Middleville, too, so there is really no way of telling where this guy came from or where he was heading.
   I started a navy and white Pin-stripe Hoodie today.  Got the hood done and I'm trying to get the neck ribbing started but I think it's time to stop for the day because I'm having trouble seeing the stitches with the navy yarn...even with the light shining on my work!  That's ok because my left thumb is starting to hurt so it's time to give it a rest.  I don't know what size this hoodie will be...2 or 4...they both start with the same number of stitches and I don't have to decide until I'm finished with the increases for the sleeves.  The last one I made was a size 2 so this one should really be a size 4.  We'll see how it goes.  Right now I think I'll watch some PBS...if Zoey lets me sit in the armchair!

No comments: