Saturday, August 17, 2019

An Uneventful Ride But Still A Good Day!

8/17:     Spent a long day in the shop yesterday after an uneventful drive to Cooperstown...except that McD's in Richfield was experiencing an internet failure and their drive-thru was backed up from the order booth to the service window while they took orders with paper and pencil!  I gave up and passed on my usual large morning Sweet Tea (that lasted thru lunch) and got a Coke at Stewart's when I stopped for gas for
the car.  I still made it to Cooperstown and had the shop open by 9:30am.  It was a slow morning but picked up during the day until our credit card machine ran out of paper with my last sale of the day and I screwed up something putting in a new roll.  Had to call for assistance before I got the machine back on line to 'Batch Out'...the way to clear the day's sales...so I didn't get out of there will 5:45pm.  The day's sales were pretty good...especially that last sale (Thank you, Ladies!).  Unfortunately, none of it was mine BUT I did get my Pin-Stripe Hoodie finished and on the hanger! (It sold on Sun., 8/18!)
Pin-stripe Hoodie
(Boy, did my hands hurt after that sweater!)  I tried calling home when I started out because I was getting such a late start...and about every 15 minutes all the way to Herkimer...but Jeff had had enough of telemarketers and had given up answering the phone(s).  

   The dogs were really excited when I did get home (couldn't tell with him) but there was a big, pot of fresh coffee...with cinnamon...waiting for me.  Boy, did that taste good!  (My last cup of coffee had been about 8am that morning!!!)
  Jeff tried to explain to me a bait trap he had seen on YouTube that he wanted to build but it wasn't sinking in.  I managed to build a paper model ok but couldn't understand how the dimensions changed as the building process progressed.  Finally he decided he really needed more wire mesh and I suggested if he was going to town to get some how about stopping someplace...anyplace...even McD's for something to eat (it was after 8pm by now) so we all bundled into the car.  He got his wire mesh and we ended up at McD...just in time to be followed into the parking lot by a police car with the lights flashing!  No, he wasn't after us.  He was after another car who had done something.  Never figured out what exactly but they got a ticket and we got something to eat.
  McD's has computer ordering stations when you first enter and we tried it but soon gave up and just went to the counter...and our order was still screwed up.  Seems they're running a special...buy a fish for regular price get the 2nd one for $1...so Jeff said 2 of that deal...with ff and drinks.  Came to $18 and they gave us a number.  When we finally got our food it wasn't that hot and we were short 2 fish!  Got that straightened out...those 2 fish were hot!  But I think that will probably be the last time we go there for a meal.  Oh, the girls got chicken nuggets...6 for $2...which they happily ate while Jeff complained (BK's are larger and although you only get 5, they're cheaper).  And when we got home, Jeff turned on the YouTube video and we watched some guy build a bait trap and now I finally understand how the dimensions change!
   About a week ago I had asked some of the other fabric artists at the shop if the next time they went to JoAnn Fabrics if they would check out the novelty buttons for me.  (I didn't want to suggest a trip to Utica to Jeff because that would evolve into a side trip to ProBass Shoppe and probably lunch somewhere and we'd end up spending an entire day shopping.) Most of the others suggested ordering online either from JoAnn or Amazon but 2 said they were considering a trip for themselves and would be happy to look for me if I gave them the button info (no special label, 7/8" with shanks, in the shape of a baseball).  Marion was the first to actually make the trip (yesterday) and she cleaned out JoAnn and Hobby Lobby (I never thought of them!) spending a total of $ 16.26 w/tax for 52 buttons.  I now have enough baseball buttons for 17 hoodies with Henley neck openings (with 1 button leftover).  I'd say I have enough buttons for the rest of this year and probably several more years.  I could even do a v-neck cardigan or two if I want!  Thanks, Marion!  and the cost per button...less than $.32 each.  Now you can't beat that...even on Amazon!!

No comments: