Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Case of the Wrong Brake Pads

   We bought new brake pads for the front brakes for the Forester last Friday and Jeff remembered today that I was scheduled to work in the shop tomorrow so he decided he better change those brakes.  The left one went on ok but the right one wouldn't fit and he really had to fight it to get it on.  When he came back from his test drive he was pissed and the right front brake was smoking!  He thought he'd take those new right front pads off and put the best of the old ones on so I could go to Cooperstown tomorrow but while we were eating supper he decided against that...too much of a chance that right front brake would fail coming down Vickerman Hill on the way home.    Instead I got the receipt (and my check) and we noticed that the brake pads they gave us were for a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. (Remember, this is our 2009 Subaru Forester!)  And the warranty for the pads was in someone else's name!  I called Judy and told her I'd be there but late tomorrow and we decided we'd go to AutoZone when they opened at 7:30am and see what they'd do for us.  More to follow.
9/4/19-8:40am:  Just back from our early morning trip to AutoZone.  They maintain they sold us the right brake pads...the warranty was for another sale not ours...and after talking with Jeff,  the sales clerk and Jeff decided the caliper was shot and decided to replace it.  So, we got new...and improved...brake pads and a new caliper for the right side.  Jeff is outside now trying to change the pads on the left side before attempting the big change on the right.(Left brake pads went on easily but now Jeff has decided we will be changing that left caliper before Halloween...he doesn't relish rolling around in the snow doing it after then!  He's started the difficult part...the right side!!)  He can return the 'smoked' brake pads and the old caliper and get back part of what he spent this morning. The big question of the day is whether he can do it all before it starts to rain.  A huge thunderstorm followed us up the road home but it seems to have passed by (a little good luck, at last?). 
   The dogs met us at the door...both crying and whining...glad to see us and upset we didn't take them with us.  After a quick trip outside, Fanny is comfortable on the couch next to me but Zoey is still whining and running from window to window trying to see where Jeff is and what he's doing.  Since I don't think she knows anything about automotive mechanics I think she's better off inside whether she likes it or not. 
   I've got a pumpkin hat OTN to go with me to the shop today and should finish it down there.  I'm taking my Christmas sweater, too.  Don't think I'll knit on it but I may clean up some of the loose ends.  One thing about doing a design on the front of a sweater worked in the round, you create a lot of loose ends!  Oh, I found some snowflake buttons at Walmart yesterday that should go very nicely around my snow lady.  Thinking of calling the sweater 'Ms. FrosT'.  (Mom and I use to call our soft sculptured dolls 'Sof-T's'.)  What do you think?



No comments: