Tuesday, January 22, 2019

What To Do When You Are Snowed In

1/21/19---I proved something to myself today that I already knew. Actually, 2 things. First, while I can't knit to a recorded book, I can knit to a DVD of that book. (Listening to a recorded book puts me to sleep.) This afternoon I started the first size 6 cardigan of the season, a raglan from the neck down, in Red Heart's Perfectly Pink worsted on US 5 and 7 circulars and started to watch the 3 episodes of Dorothy L Sayers' "Gaudy Night" I had gotten at the library. I stopped periodically to let the dogs out (and right back in, it was too cold out there for them! After a couple of trips, Zoey wouldn't even go past the kitchen door!!) And to pour myself a cup of coffee or tea. I had to put wood on the fire once, too, but I managed to work right along, working the 1st white sheep in after there were 19 sts. on each front. When the dvd was finished it was about time to switch and watch the early Evening News and I had 46 sts. on the fronts so I started the 2nd sheep. I stopped working when I had 50 sts. for each sleeve and it was almost 6:30pm!  In the morning I'll put the stitches for the sleeves on single point needles and work on them...if I can move my left thumb and index finger. That's the 2nd thing I proved to myself...5 1/2 hrs. of steady knitting is too much for my thumb. It feels like someone tried to rip it off my hand! 
1/22/19---While I sat here at my PC writing this last night, I had my left hand wrapped up in my therapy bag...all nice and hot from being in the micro!  Boy, does that make the thumb feel better!  I went on the Mid-York Library site, www.myls.ent.sirsi.net, and ordered 8 more DVD sets of British mystery books.  Some I had never heard of before and a couple I was familiar with (ordered one with Diana Rigg that sounded pretty good).  Until they come in, I'll have to sit here at the PC and watch Acorn or Britbox while I knit.  Zoey and I are going to argue over who gets to sit in the armchair but she can share the sofa with Fanny.
   I woke up this morning to what I thought was my neighbor on his Cub Cadet snow blower but it was someone on a snowmobile riding up and down the driveway and around the neighbor's yard and the field across from our house.  I don't know if he was able to flatten the berm at the mouth of the driveway that the county plow creates.  Can't see that far from our windows.  The garbage truck hasn't come in yet so I don't think so.  Jeff wanted to go out with the walk-behind snowblower yesterday and take care of that 'snow plug' but decided it was too cold. (The wind chill yesterday was -14F.  Today's air temperature is suppose to be +15F with little or no wind chill because the wind has died down.)  Until that little problem is cleared out we are officially still snowed in.

No comments: