Thursday, January 10, 2019

A Trip To Cooperstown

   Jeff had doctor appointments in Cooperstown today but we decided it was too cold to take the dogs and let them sit in the car for 3 hours so with a little hesitation we left them home.  After letting them out for awhile, I put out 2 bowls of dog food and a big bowl of water, had 'little talks' with both of them, and promised chicken nuggets from Burger King on our return...a bag for each of them and we left them inside!  I didn't expect them to do anything really bad, just the usual puddles-and-piles of being left alone for 3 hours.  I forgot to put the garbage pail on the porch so I expected that would be spread around the house, too.  And lately, Zoey's been trying to destroy(pulling the stuffing out of) the big red pillow that I use when I want to read in bed so I hoped I had put that up high enough to have it out of her range!!  
   We had an uneventful drive down Rte. 28.  The road was clear most of the way expect for around the Jordanville Rd intersection where the wind sweeps across the cornfields and generally makes a mess of the highway.  I really had to slow down several time...in fact, most of the time I didn't make it over 45mph but we got to Cooperstown in plenty of time.  Canadarago Lake was barely frozen over and Otsego Lake hasn't even started to freeze yet!  The Susquehanna River was roaring around the clinic and hospital, too.  The trip home was worse.  Traffic was heavier and the weather was messier.  It took half an hour to make it to Richfield Springs where we stopped for gas and coffee...the half moon cookie at Stewart's was so fresh and so delicious I thought it was right out of the oven!  Back on the road, things got slower and messier and then it all came to a stop.  A tractor trailer had gone over onto it's side as it went around a curve!  There were more flashing lights on pickups, fire trucks, a couple of ambulances. sheriff's and state police cars than you could imagine!
It looked a lot worse than it was, too!  I felt sorry for the driver of the rig!  I think he'll be busy for quite awhile filling out paper work!  Jeff even thought he saw a HazMat truck!  I don't think any other vehicle was involved and it looked like the wind may have just lifted the truck off it's wheels...anyway, that driver had some explaining to do!
  When we finally got home around 4:30pm the girls started barking up a storm to welcome us.  Jeff reminded me not to be too harsh with them for any puddles or piles or garbage thrown around.  This was the 1st time in quite awhile we had left them home alone.  They greeted us with open arms...and mouths and we were licked and pawed and treated like long, long relatives...and they couldn't even see the BK bag! (Maybe they could smell it!) They went out for a quick trip and came back in to be greeted again.  After their chicken treat they went back out and finished their toilet. Now Fanny is asleep on the sofa here in the parlor next to me and my PC and Zoey is sacked out on Jeff's bed while he's on his PC.  We all survived our day and maybe we'll try it again next week when I have to go back to see the dermatologist.  Too be honest, this was one of the longest times Jeff and I have been alone together lately and it was kind of nice. (I even got called 'Mrs. Day' 2 or 3 times.)



No comments: