Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Happy New Year!!

   New Year's Eve was quiet here in the little house in these little woods.  I had an old-fashion head cold and if you know me, you know what that means.  I never fail to amaze myself that my sinus can produce that much yuck!  Jeff got me some Benadryl and that helped.  I went thru an entire box of tissues in 2 days!!  I envy those of you who can bring that muck up without vomiting, I can't, so I end up either blowing it out my nose or swallowing it.  Neither thought is very attractive, pleasant or enjoyable.  I spent most of the day dosing next to the fire and tracking the color of my mucus (clear-white-yellow).  I took a double dose of Benadryl when I went to bed and managed to sleep most of the night.  Feeling a little better I got dinner together the next morning(store-made meatballs, hot sausage and cheese ravioli) and left the meat in the kettle of sauce on the stove.  The house smelled good...(I think) but I couldn't be sure.  I took a hot shower and could breath a little easier so I curled up next to the fire again and waited for my cousin to come over.  I even managed to bake a cake!  I washed my hands so often I was surprised I had any skin left on them.  My cake wasn't as successful as  I had hoped for.  I wanted a carrot cake but the store was out of carrot cake mixes.  Since you can substitute pureed fruit for oil with a box mix I decided to substitute 2 jars of baby food/carrots for the 1/3 cup of oil.  That was twice as much as I needed but I thought it might give it more flavor.  I also used 4 eggs instead of 3 as the package called for.  (It was the cheapest cake mix the store had and I wanted to be sure it turned out half-way decent.)  I should have added some spices but we'll blame the Benadryl for that goof.   Jeff and Ed didn't complain about any part of the dinner so I guess everything was ok.
   Ed had had an interesting morning.  The power was out on his side of East Herkimer most of the day and he wasn't sure when it would be restored.  Luckily it came back on just before he felt to come over.  He has a sump pump in his cellar and that's always a worry when the power fails.  He thought he had about 4 hours left before his furnace would have been in trouble.  I glad his power was restore.  I don't think it would have been very comfortable to go back into that house after it being heatless all day.  Another of the joys of country living.  We don't have water problem in our cellar so no sump pump.  Jeff's sister does and she lives in Utica, so maybe it's not just country living!
   I spent most of today next to the woodstove again, wrapped up in a blanket, knitting.  My cold has progressed to the coughing stage, and again, if you know me you remember what I sound like when I'm coughing!  Tomorrow I'm going to ask the pharmacist to recommend a cough syrup for me.  I use to be able to take Robitusssin  but read something about it interfering with Warfarin.  I haven't been able to get my INR in range for about 6 weeks but there's no sense mess it up worse.  But at least I'd have a reason this week!
  I hope everyone had a safe New Year's and is happy with the results.  A couple more days of rest and I'll have to get back to work and start filling my project bags for the shop.  We open for our 45 season in 96 days...that's April 10th!
 

No comments: