Friday, January 18, 2019

It's Time To Be A Yarn Pal, Again!

   The deadline to mail this round's Yarn Pal package is Saturday, 1/19,  so I finally mustered up the courage to make some decisions.  I find it so hard to decide what kind of yarn to send to my new Yarn Pal each round after I've seen the photos on Facebook of what other people have sent/received. 
    Everyone has found exciting yarns in such beautiful colors.  I know I've been happy with all the yarn I've received but I'm still a little hesitant about what to chose for my new pal each round.  We're given a short bio with a preference list of colors to go by each round.  My pal this round likes to knit...hats, gloves, socks, shawls and sweaters...in some of my favorite colors...greens, yellows, oranges and gray, so I raided my stash for some sock yarn from KnitPicks that I had just received and then started looking at what was available locally.  I saw some shawl yarn from Red Heart that looked nice and thought that might do but couldn't make up my mind.  Every time I went into Walmart I checked out the yarn and kept handling that shawl yarn.  Yesterday, with time running out I finally decided on which color combo when I saw a skein of scarf yarn, also from Red Heart, that was beautiful!  So soft and squishy!  A lady who I did not know was looking at yarn and commented on that skein and I told her what I was thinking it might be for.  I also told her why I was holding the shawl yarn.  She said she preferred the scarf yarn and that helped me make up my mind.  I may go back and buy that shawl yarn for me...or another skein of the scarf yarn.  I put the yarn in a Japanese Knot Bag that I had knitted.  It's done in a white based ombre Sugar n' Cream yarn.  It's not a really big project bag, but the 3 skeins filled it up.  The bag can also be used as a lunch bag or even a pocket book.  It has an owl charm on it for luck, too.  
    I also got some notions (yarn sewing needles and stitch markers) because I never have enough of them.  Of course, I've been know to flip stitch markers across the room as I knit over them and anybody who's been in my house knows, anything that hits the floor is immediately claimed by one of the dogs! I put them in a little felt notions bag that I made.  (It was a tight fit in their packaging but once they're open will fit better.)  
    I had picked up an extra 2019 Erie Canal Calendar when the Mid York Library System handed them out in December with the idea of including it in this round's package.  The photos of the canal are so beautiful and I thought they showed off our part of the state so well.  I put a small x on the map on the back of the calendar to mark the approximate location of our little house here in the little woods, too.  I had kept a large white envelope with a snowman on it that another calendar had come in and the Erie Canal Calendar fit perfectly so I put it in that and wrote my introduction note around the snowman.  
   It still seemed a little light to me so I went to look for a knitting magazine.  Walmart had only 2 and another lady who was looking at them, also a stranger, recommended one to me.  (See, all knitters are really friends even if they don't know each other.  We stood there and talked for a good 10 minutes!)  The magazine fit in the Snowman envelope with calendar perfectly.  At the last minute I decided to put in a 'sweet treat' and got a Dove salted caramel bar  (just didn't mention it on the custom's declaration!). The total weight of the package came to 1lb, 14.7oz.---I don't think the candy bar added that much weight!
   Oh, I gave my new Pal the address to this blog so maybe when she gets the package she'll look us up.  Maybe she'll even add a comment!!  Wouldn't that be great?!?!  She could even add a photo of the package!
   It's snowing quite steadily right now but it's suppose to stop by noon.  Good, I've got an appointment at the clinic in Hartwick Seminary today and I don't like the trip up Rte.28 in this weather. And,  I've a short list of things to pick up when we get back to town, too, to make sure we're stocked up for the big storm this weekend.  We're suppose to get 18-20" min. of snow between Sat. and Sunday.  Delightful, huh? Maybe I'll stop and get that skein of yarn, too.
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

MARY
The package you put together is delightful .I love the bag and the sludge colours in the sock yarn right up my street.The xalander is amazing .We too have a canal on our doorstep but a little smaller than yours .Look up Caen Hill locks .I pass the everyday on my way to work .I love knitting magazines and its so nice to have one from afar .The little felt bag is lovely too.I just love the story of putting your parcel together and its quite unique .For your other readers the score is 10/10 .

Unknown said...

MARY
The package you put together is delightful .I love the bag and the sludge colours in the sock yarn right up my street.The xalander is amazing .We too have a canal on our doorstep but a little smaller than yours .Look up Caen Hill locks .I pass the everyday on my way to work .I love knitting magazines and its so nice to have one from afar .The little felt bag is lovely too.I just love the story of putting your parcel together and its quite unique .For your other readers the score is 10/10 .