Friday, December 29, 2017

The Last installment in the Cataract Procedure!

     Since I had to keep my post-op cataract appointment today in Cooperstown no matter how cold it was, Jeff warmed up the Forester and we loaded up the dogs and off we went around 9:45am!  First we stopped at the bank to get some $$ and then we stopped at Stewarts's to exchange some of it for some gas.  The front passenger door still wouldn't open so I was in the back seat with the Fanny while Zoey sat up front with Jeff.  The ride to Cooperstown was beautiful...sunshine, blue skies, bare roads.  We made good time and I was checking in at the registration desk at Bassett at 10:45am.  My name was called shortly after 11am (my appointment time) and I followed one of the techs down the hall.  After a stop at one station for the first test, I ended up in an exam room at the other end of the clinic.  Another tech came in and I had my near and far sight tested, eye pressure taken and drops administered to dilate my eyes.  I was told the doctor would see me next.  After the tech left the room I checked my cellphone for the time and saw that it was 11:41am.  Not bad.  Jeff came in a little while later...he had stayed with the dogs in the car for a little while to keep the engine running.  Then he had gone up to the cafeteria for coffee and decided to check in on me before he went back to the car.  When he left, I looked my cellphone again for the time, it was now 12:16pm.  (Where did that half hour go??)  After a few more minutes Dr. Lemanski finished her exam in the next room and made her way into my exam room.  She checked the results of my tests in the online chart and was pleased with my near and far sight and eye pressure.  She thought my eyes were over dilated so she administered some drops to help them start to contract.  (It's now 5:07pm and my pupils are still dilated! There is less than 1/8" of brown iris showing around the pupil!  Wonder how long it will take to get back to normal?)  She said I was probably experiencing a 'halo' of light (ah, that's what that was!) due to the over dilation but it would lessen and slowly fade. She examined the back of my eyes and declared them 'healed'.  Then she wrote an Rx for reading glasses for me that I will get filled in Herkimer next week.  I want them in transition lens so I can read and knit outside without having to have a pair of sunglasses.  (The new glasses will be similar to bifocals but the top of the lens will be plain glass.) It will be interesting to see if Fran Baggetta, the optician, can save the frames I'm using now since Zoey chewed the ear piece off one side.  I hope so.  Anyway, we'll see next week when I check with him.
   When I got out to the car,  I found that Jeff had managed to get the passenger door open and I got to sit up front with Zoey between us.  I had promised him lunch at the restaurant of his choice so when we got back to Mohawk he turned into Mona's (the Purple House on Main St).  He really wanted a covered roast beef sandwich but she was all out so he had to settle for fish fry.  I got a shrimp basket w/ff.  Mona makes her own cocktail sauce and it is so-o-o good (and hot)!  We both were well satisfied with our meal.  After lunch I wanted to go to the Ilion library (they had a pile of books for me) and to the Melrose Market in Frankfort to get some Italian sausage but Jeff was getting tired so after a stop at the library we headed for home.  Since we got here, he and the dogs have been napping.  Maybe tomorrow we can do some grocery shopping. Maybe tomorrow the temperature will be warmer, too.

No comments: