Monday, December 25, 2017

Merry Christmas? Bah Humbug!

   It was Christmas morning and I was nice and comfortable in bed with the dogs curled up beside me but Jeff was standing over me saying you better get up.  Why? I asked sleepily.  The furnace stopped and the house is going to get cold. Bah humbug!
  I sighed, life in the little house in the little woods, got up and headed to the shower.  The bathroom filled warm steam and the hot water felt wonderful.  Zoey was soon crying at the bathroom door (her usual routine) but I ignored her and toweled off and dried my hair.  Gathering up wet towels, I headed to the laundry room to exchange them for clean underwear, jeans, a long-sleeved t-shirt and a flannel shirt.  Wool socks finished my holiday ensemble. 
  I passed Jeff on my way to the kitchen.  He was carrying wood to the stove and I was heading to the coffeepot.  (Oh, I guess he couldn't start a fire and put on a pot of coffee!)  We soon had both going but that didn't lighten either of our moods.  We decided to rely on the woodstove and the oven to keep the house reasonably warm today and call for help tomorrow.  (The cost of the emergency call to the heating company will still be kick to the stomach but it will be less tomorrow than today and why ruin someone else's Christmas?)  Jeff just made a quick trip to Stewart's to get a couple of bundles of hard wood but decided to get them at Fast Trac instead.  (Stewart's wanted $8/bundle.  He got 3/$12 at Fast Trac). He stopped for coffee at the N Main St Greek Diner on the way home and the owner gave him a pie as a Christmas present!  I think I'll go there this week and buy a cheesecake for New Year's dinner!!
      It will be cold tonight but we'll survive and hopefully, so will our water pipes since Jeff says the cellar is now warmer than the bedrooms!

No comments: