Friday, December 22, 2017

We Didn't Go To Cooperstown Today Afterall

    I've been listening to the weather forecast for the last couple of days and finally decided to heed the warnings and postpone today's trip to the eye clinic in Cooperstown.  Seems I was not alone! The girl on the phone said it looked like Dr. Lemanski would have a very light day today as I changed my 1pm today appointment to 11am next Friday. (Let's hope the weather is better then!!) It was snowing lightly when I called but it was suppose to get heavier and then change to sleet and then back to snow as the day progressed. Good ol'wintry mix!! Just love the weather in the Great Northeast!
   Although I had cancelled drive to Cooperstown today due to the weather conditions, Jeff thought it was safe enough to go to Hannaford's and get the few things we needed and stop at Rite Aide to refill his Rx's. He took it easy driving to town because the road conditions were not very good (so glad we weren't driving up Vickerman Hill!) and even stopped for gas at Stewart's in Herkimer. That's when the trip went sour...the car wouldn't start after getting gas. I called the AllState Motor Club number on my membership card and was told they would send someone to jump the car 'as soon as possible'. Jeff decided he had better move the car away from the gas pumps and while he was pushing it, a guy who had been shoveling out his driveway across the street came over and offered to help move the car. Together they pushed it away from the pumps, and when the guy asked what was wrong and Jeff told him, the guy...a perfect stranger to us...offered to jump start the car. He went and got his car...another Subaru...and the Forester was soon running again. (Jeff offered to pay him but he refused. There are still good people in the world/Herkimer.) We drove the car around Herkimer to the tobacco store on Main St (left it running while he went in), and then back to the auto parts store on the corner of State and Bellinger Sts, again leaving it running while he went inside. Jeff's decided we need a new battery and he wanted to price one ($159, installed). The current battery has a label on it that says 'Manufactured by Subaru USA' meaning it's the original battery...and the car is a 2009!! I guess it is time for a new battery.
   I'm just disappointed that this year Santa chose to bring me a new refrigerator and a new car battery. I can think of a lot of other things for that much money that I would prefer to getting for Christmas.  I don't know if the choice of presents means I've been naughty or nice.

No comments: