Friday, January 5, 2018

A Christmas Tree

     Jeff came home with a full decorated Christmas tree last night.  Actually, Michelle from The Barracks had asked him a couple of days ago if I'd take their live Christmas tree.  Being a reasonably intelligent man, Jeff asked me if I'd take the tree...without mentioning that it was over 4 ft. tall and fully decorated. (I thought I was getting a 1 ft. tree in a gallon bucket!)  Zoey went crazy went she saw it and wanted to wrestle the ornaments off the branches.  Jeff left the poor tree on the kitchen counter and after a couple of hours I moved it to in front of the parlor windows and gave it a couple cups of warm water.  This morning I took the decorations off of it after I caught Zoey doing it for me...and having a ball playing and destroying one of the metal balls!  I gave it another couple of cups of warm water and the branches have started to straighten out.  It's a Norfolk pine and I've never had one of those before.  Just got to decide where to plant it in the spring.  Michelle's husband, Stoney, and Jeff both thought throwing out the tree was the best way to get rid of it but wiser minds prevailed.  It's too big and nice a tree to just but in the garbage! 
   Just learned that a Norfolk Pine is a tropical pine from Hawaii and Florida and will not survive our winters outside.  Jeff, pleased that he will not have to plant it, suggested giving it to the library so I asked but Herkimer refused saying they didn't have room for a 4ft potted tree.  Jeff thinks we can find a doctor's office where it might be welcome but I think we may be stuck with it.  Wonder if it can summer outside and winter inside? 

No comments: