Friday, January 12, 2018

New Vet

   Yesterday we took Zoey for her pre-op physical with the vet Jeff had picked, Herkimer Veterinary Associates, across the road from Denny's in Herkimer.  He had talked with them, and the people at Mohawk Valley Vets, where I have taken my dogs, and decided he preferred Herkimer Vets.  Herkimer is a much larger practice with 5 vets and we have heard good things about them.  Neither of us has been totally pleased with the care Fanny's gotten at Mohawk Valley...she had a reoccurring ear infection that they couldn't clear up but a monthly trip to the groomers has made that a thing of the past.  Everyone at Herkimer made us feel at home and made a fuss over Zoey!  Of course, she loved that!
   Zoey was found to be in good general health with a 'trick knee' that might be a genetic problem or a result of a dislocation when she was quite young. (No sense saying 'small', Zoey is small and will remain small!)  She weighs 19.5 lbs. and because of the knee the vet suggested we keep her under 25 lbs. if possible.  Zoey is an eating machine and is quite active...even in winter...but we'll have to watch her calorie intake as she gets older.  Her lungs, eyes and ears are clear (she gets her ears cleaned monthly at the groomers, too).  She was given 2 booster shots and scheduled for her spaying on Feb. 7th.  It will be 'day surgery', checking in between 7:30 and 8am and if all goes without complications, Zoey will be home for supper.  Her stitches will be internal and self-dissolving.  They will send her home with a light sedative and some pain pills to help keep her quite for a couple of days.
   Jeff and I were both impressed with the staff and I made an appointment for Fanny to be seen next week.  She keeps gnawing at her left front foot, really digging between 2 of the toes and has been doing this for some time.  Her current vet calls it an allergy but Fanny has caused the foot to bleed and I don't like that.  I think it's time for a second opinion.  And besides, why have 2 vets?
   After Jeff recovered and paid Zoey's bill, I took pity on him and suggested stopping for coffee at the N Main St Greek Diner.  Teddy had made carrot cake yesterday so we both had some...very good...but next time I think I'll stick with cheesecake.  Teddy's is great!  I'm hoping he surprises me someday and 
makes Galaktoboureko  or custard pie.  My cousin Fran's wife, Irene, use to make that for special occasions  and it was out of this world!! I'm sure Teddy would do just as good a job with the recipe as Irene always did!





No comments: