Thursday, January 18, 2018

Fanny's Turn

   Yesterday was Fanny's turn with the new vet.  Zoey went with us to offer moral support (actually I didn't want to leave her alone at home or in the car, afraid of what she would do/destroy!). The girls at the office were surprised to see Zoey so soon but even more surprised to see Fanny (all 89#'s of her) crawl under the chair Jeff sat on and hide!  When it was Fanny's turn we all trooped into the exam room and while Fanny crawled under the chair in that room, too, Zoey happily greeted the tech who came in to exam Fanny.  We reminded the tech that Fanny needed to be muzzled because she was a reflex biter and once Jeff put it on her she looked so pathetic!  She was taken into the back hall and  the vet examined her front feet.  He found that she did have a problem...a rash/infection between the toes that she had been gnawing at.  Her gave her a Dexamethasone shot (a steroid) for that and gave me some Cefpodoxime tablets(antibiotic) to give her every day.  He also gave me some Chlorhexidine (anti-inflammatory)treated wipes to use on her feet but that's going to be a problem.  I think we'll have to buy her a muzzle.  I like/need my fingers in the condition they're in and since my INR is out of range again (high) and I'm bleeding from the slightest scratch, I don't want her biting me!  It's easy to give her the pills...just break one into pieces and put them in a glob of peanut butter.  It gets gobbled up in record time. No problem!  (Meatballs, frosting and cream cheese also work with Fanny.)  Of course, Zoey was right there demanding her fair share of peanut butter!  Once we get the infection cleared up, Fanny's got to have some booster shots.  Yesterday's little trip cost me $119.  (Jeff never said how much Zoey's pre-op visit cost but it probably was in the same range.)  Hopefully, our next visit to the vet will be Zoey's spaying on 2/7.
   After our vet visit we went to the new coffee shop on Main St in Herkimer, The Java Shop by Cucina Berto.  I saw their ad on Facebook and it said they used Utica Coffee and since Jeff had mentioned more than once he'd like to try Utica Coffee some time, I suggested it.  The coffee shop had just opened the day before, and unfortunately, they weren't using Utica Coffee yesterday.  But the coffee we did have was pretty good.  Jeff had a scone and I had a delicious muffin!  We also have a delightful conversation with the owner, Rob Fiorentino.  My mother grew up with Rob's grandfather and had told plenty of stories about the times and fun they had. And I spent many Sunday mornings after church at Rob's grandparent's house while I was growing up, too.  Rob runs the kitchen at the Herkimer Elk's on Friday's. Jeff and Rob seemed to get along well and Jeff enjoyed the coffee and scone!  Now Jeff wants to try a Friday night dinner at the Elk's.  Just hearing Rob's menu, it's definitely something to look forward to! 

No comments: