Saturday, October 28, 2017

Cataract Procedure #1...A Success!

        The alarm clock went off at 5:25am Thursday morning starting of one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had.  We were on our way to Little Falls Hospital by 6:20.  I had forgot how dark it was that early!!  There was lots of traffic and the houses along Rte 5 actually had lights on inside!  We were upstairs and checked in by 6:35am and I was in a hospital gown (open in the back!) and in a bed with an IV in my right hand by 7am.  Signed a bunch of release forms and had blood drawn for an INR (clotting factor...always done when you take Warfarin. I scored a little low at 2.1. because of the Caesar salad I had the day before!)   Doctors started coming in at 7:30 to explain things and the IV was moved from my right hand to my left wrist because the vein in my hand was too narrow/scared (a souvenir of chemo) and wouldn't draw the IV. Nurses kept coming in and putting drops in my right eye.  Someone drew a swiggle next to my right eye and someone else offered me a heated blanket. I was asked my name/birthdate and why I was there each time someone came into the room. Around 8am we were rolling down the hall to the OR where more blankets and pillows were placed around me, an O2 hose was put in my nose and a disposable shower cap put over my hair.  My head was taped to the table and my right eyelids taped open.  A paper drape was placed over my face and taped around my eye. A few more drops and finally a shot in the eye...boy, did I feel that!  OUCH!  Two small incisions and the tip of the laser was in inserted.  The lens was broken up and then vacuumed out. (I could 'see' it happening but not really.) A bath of DSS (distilled saline solution) and then the new lens was inserted and moved around into place.  I could see peripherally around it!  Another wave of DSS and a little pressure on the eye as the doctor secured the incisions. Heard Dr. Lemanski say 'I just want to polish this one a little more' and then another DSS wave and it was over.  My eye was taped shut, covered with a gauze pad and a plastic shield was taped over it.  The drape was pulled off my face and jokes were made about 'free waxings'.  Then it was back down the hall to my room.  One nurse adjusted the bed so I could sit up and another asked if I'd like some OJ.  About 9:30 they ushered Jeff back into the room...I had been in the OR just long enough for him to go down to the cafeteria and have breakfast and go outside for a cigarette.  My vitals were stable (Bp 118/68!).  The IV was pulled and the heart monitor disconnected.  Around 10am a nurse handed me the bag with my clothes and said I could get dressed.  Jeff went to move the car and when I was ready a wheelchair was there to take me downstairs.  We were home by 10:35am.  Cataract Procedure #1/the Right Eye was done. 
   I tried to spend the rest of the day doing 'normal' things but found it difficult one-eyed.  I watched some TV and played cards on line but it wasn't fun and I found it very tiring.  I followed my friend, Tim's advise and treated myself to a bowl of butter pecan ice cream whenever I started to get depressed or nervous.  Jeff cooked supper (pork ribs and rice...very good) and cleaned up after the dogs.  I tried to watch TV again and managed to watch some 'M*A*S*H' repeats but gave up and went to bed around 8pm.
  The next day, Friday 10/27, I was up before the alarm went off.   We were on the road to Cooperstown by 8am.  A stop for gas and to let some deer cross Rte. 28 and we were at the clinic by 9am. (My appointment was for 9:20am)  Jeff had to lead me into the building and the elevator because I was having a hard time one-eyed.  No depth perception and lousy balance!  We joked with some of the staff in the elevator before checking in at the Registration Desk then it was back down to the Eye Clinic.  After a few minutes wait I was moved to an exam room and the shield and bandage was finally removed. YEA!!!  The  pressure in the eye was checked and the eye was cleaned.  Then Dr. Lemanski checked the eye and everything looked ok so while I waited to see her again Jeff went back to the car to let the dogs out.  I was moved to another exam room and saw the doctor again.  She put in my 1st set of drops for the day, explained the rest, and agreed on the date for the next procedure.  I grabbed a pair of their disposable sunglasses on the way out and managed to make it to the car on my own.
  We took the dogs home and went to Mona's in Mohawk for lunch.   We had found a message from Walmart Pharmacy on our phone when we dropped off the dogs that the Rx Dr. Lemanski had ordered that morning was ready so we stopped there and picked up the Prednisone drops and some paper tape so I could continue to use the eye shield at night.  Jeff got me a eye patch(a la a pirate) so I can rest either eye during the day.  It's uncomfortable to wear but I'm trying to get use to it.  I told him the patch reminded me of a 1950's bra...a very pointed cup!
   I'm glad Cataract Procedure #1 is over and was successful, and I'm looking forward to Cataract Procedure #2...the left eye scheduled for Nov. 16th, same place, same cast.  I'm sure I'll have the hee-bee gee-bees again in the days leading up to it.  (It did give me an opportunity to clean the kitchen cabinets.) It was the weirdest experience of my live to look up and see the bottom of the telescopic instrument the doctor was using...3 lighted circles...and see what was happening in my eye.  There really wasn't any pain to speak of!  I was surprised at the number of old friends and relatives who offered their experiences and good wishes.  And when Cataract Procedure #2-the Lt Eye is completed I get to do something I haven't done since high school...buy a pair of regular sunglasses!   

No comments: