Thursday, September 14, 2017

Fixing a Refrigeator And Other Happenings

   If you've visited our house you know that we don't have a full size refrigerator.  I replaced the last one I had several years ago with an 'under the counter' model but put it up on a cupboard base.  It's big enough for 1 or 2 people...especially when you have a chest freezer in another room.  When the 1st one I bought 'died' after a few years, I replaced it with another one and eventually with this one, a Kenmore.  Well, that one decided it's time had come but Jeff thought it might have something to do with needing more coolant...maybe even a leak in the coolant line...so he started looking for a replacement hose, taps and eventually found what we needed at Robinson's in Mohawk.  He bought a can of coolant at the auto parts store and today while I was at a doctor's appointment, he played doctor with the refrigerator.  
  There was no way to tell if he had put enough...or too much...coolant in the hose so most of the morning after the refrigerator started to try to cycle it's way back into service, he's been releasing some of the coolant. By late afternoon, the refrigerator was running the way it was suppose to...acting like a refrigerator!  That gray hose on the left in the photo is actually covered with frost...like it's suppose to be!  Jeff learned how to do this from his Uncle George who was really a jack-of-all-trades. Total cost for this repair job was $45-50.  Since we kept the 2nd refrigerator when we bought this one, Jeff's going to refurbish it so we can use it on the porch for soda and veggies...and probably worms and fish in season. 
   While Jeff kept busy playing Refrigerator Doctor, I visited my regular nurse practitioner for my annual check-up. My Bp is fantastic (112/70)...and that's with a 3 1/2 month old puppy who's not learning why there are pee pads all over the house! Next week I have to visit the Vampire for a round of blood tests including a full thyroid scan. Mr. McCue tends to agree with me that what's left of my cyst-filled thyroid has slowed down on hormone production. It may be time to start Synthroid.  The usual visits for a mammo and with the GYN and Cardiologist are next.  

No comments: