Wednesday, August 23, 2017

More Garden Boxes

   Wally and Jeff have kept busy this week demolishing and burning our rotten raised garden boxes.  They have managed to remove and destroy 1 1/2 rows plus the bean tower. 
Jeff really didn't want to take down the bean tower but Wally did it without asking and when he did he uncovered a nest of red ants...and paid for it with quite a few bites!  They have been burning the rotten wood in a 50gal drum that Wally brought over so it's been

slow going.  Tomorrow they hope to finish off the 2nd row and some, if not most, of the 3rd.  They've decided to dump the
the ashes of 2 rows of boxes
ashes...when they're cooled off...into our old well which is near the garden.  Unfortunately, it is surrounded by weeds so Jeff had to mow around it today.  When he did he got the garden tractor tangled up in a sheet of plastic and the mower stopped.  The guys spent most of the afternoon taking the mowing deck off the tractor, cutting the plastic away from the mower's shaft and then putting the mowing deck back on the tractor.  But in the end, everything works again and it is something that will have to be done...exchanging the mower deck for the snow blower...so it was good in a way that Jeff learned how to do it on a nice, bright, sunny, warm day in August instead of a cold, wet, day in November.  Jeff said he had walked around the well looking for obstacles to avoid...or remove...and never saw the plastic.  He thinks it might have been covered with leaves.

  I spend the afternoon knitting on a Pin-Stripe sweater.  I actually got a sleeve finished!  Hopefully,
I'll get the 2nd sleeve done tomorrow and the rest of the sweater finished over the weekend.  I'm not scheduled to work in the shop until next Friday, Sept. 1st, so I should get the sweater finished.  And some hats and maybe even some booties that I saw on Ravelry.  We'll see how the weather holds and if I can sit outside and knit.
   Fanny and Zoey spent the morning outside playing in the yard...just having doggie fun.  When I went inside to fix lunch for Jeff they came with me and the 1st thing Zoey did after being outside for 2 hours was pee on the bathroom floor.  I guess she figured if everyone else pees in this room, why can't I? (And yes, I was using the facilities at the time.)  After I took Jeff's lunch out to him, I went back outside with Zoey but Fanny took that opportunity to take a nap inside alone.  Later I went in to get Jeff some coffee and asked her if she wanted to come out but didn't get much of a response so I offered her a dog biscuit and left her inside.  I think she enjoyed her afternoon alone.  After Wally went home Fanny came out and played with Zoey until it was time for supper.  Both dogs had worked up an appetite and ate well.  Right now they're both asleep...Fanny next to the computer table and Zoey on the pillow under it.  I think all of us will sleep well tonight after spending the day outside.   (Jeff may not be moving so well tomorrow after crawling around on the ground taking the mower deck off/putting it back on the tractor.)

No comments: