Tuesday, August 1, 2017

A Travel Day

   I had an appointment with my eye doctor at Bassett in Cooperstown yesterday so we loaded up Fanny and Zoey and went for a ride.  Either Zoey doesn't like riding in a car or else she was afraid she was going to a new home...her 1 and only previous car ride had been from Linda's--her breeder's--in Hinckley to our house.  Anyway, she cried from home to Bassett.  I left Jeff with the 2 dogs, a bag with extra plastic bags, a small bowl and a couple of bottles of water and went inside for my exam.  He settled under a shady tree and everyone was comfy.  Zoey attracted people like a magnet attracts iron, he reported.  Young, old, male, female.  He had a steady stream of visitors coming over to see the puppy.  Fanny even got into the mood and allowed people to pet her...and that's something new with her!  She doesn't like strangers and usually hides even when family and friends visit us!  When I was finished inside Jeff called me over to join them and both dogs were excited to see me.  We loaded up the car and after a quick stop at the shop to see what had sold the 2nd day of Induction Weekend (not much), headed for home.  Zoey resumed her crying.  She has to be held by the front seat passenger until she's a little bigger and she'd rather be in the backseat with Fanny.  As long as she can see Fanny the cries were kept to a minimum and she fell asleep.  We stopped at Mr. Shake's on the Hill and had an early supper/late lunch on their patio.  Again, we attracted attention with little kids coming over asking to pet the puppy.  Fanny just backed out of the way and Zoey sucked up all the attention!  The waitress even brought out a big bowl of water for them (w/o us asking for it) when our water ran out.  Good thing, too, coz we needed it when Zoey peed on their deck while we were eating our burgers! Jeff had a burger with everything on it and I had a Mexican (which I shared with Fanny) and we shared the ff.  With 2 sodas, the bill was less than $15.  Mom always like stopping at Mr. Shake's on the Hill (on Rte 28., almost to Richfield Springs).  She especially enjoyed the ice cream there!  Zoey cried again until she fell asleep and she slept about half way home.  Jeff decided that was a good idea and headed in for a nap around 6pm just when Zoey was getting started again. 
Fanny and I put up with her until 8:30 or so when the 3 of us crashed on my bed.  Zoey really must have been tired because she slept until 3am!  I gladly got up and handed her off to Jeff and she kept him awake for the next 3 or 4 hours.  Fanny and I tried to get some sleep but she kept crying and he finally gave Zoey back to me around 7am.  Jeff tells me I'll be sorry when she grows up and I end up with 2 dogs sleeping on my bed but right now, she's willing to sleep between Fanny and me and at least we can get some sleep!
   The purpose of my Bassett appointment was to get a referral for cataract removal.  I'm not looking forward to this but I know it's necessary.  Dr. Russo referred me to Mr. Mann who I'll see on Aug. 14th.  Dr. Russo did mention the need for Heparin bridging, a procedure I did when I had the meniscus in my left knee repaired and do so dislike...no, make that 'hate' doing.  (Do you know anybody who would actually prefer self-injecting in the abdomen rather than swallowing a pill?)  And bridging is usually for 7-14 days.  That's just 1 reason I'm not looking forward to cataract removal.
   Jeff and his brother, Tim, have been fishing the Mohawk River and the canal together lately.  Jeff told Tim about the big catfish he caught and since then Jeff hasn't caught anything like that but Tim got a 15 #er that he took home and his step-kids cooked for dinner.  The first night they went to the Frankfort Marina they stayed out all night and when I woke up around 5am and no Jeff, I called his cell.  They were just packing up and looking for breakfast.  Even Mona's, Jeff's favorite breakfast diner, wasn't open yet so they ended up at Denny's.  Saturday night the Marina was full of fishermen so they checked the hidden spots under the overpass.  Full there, too.  They ended up at the fishing access spot between Mohawk and Ilion.  You can see the road to this spot from Rte 5s, it goes by soccer fields before getting to the canal but Jeff never could find where the turn for it was off of Main St.  Well, they found it and think it's a pretty good spot.  There's a grassy spot and a wooden dock.  And best of all Saturday night, no people!  I think they'll be visiting it again.
  Sunday I did pulled pork in the crock pot and invited Tim and my cousin, Ed, to supper.  Tim brought some Anzio Bros. rolls that went perfectly with the pulled pork.  Ed brought some dessert.  Fanny was actually much more friendly with the guys who she usually hides from and Zoey was just her usual puppy self.  I thought a 3.5# pork roast would have been big enough for 4 people but I forgot 3 of them were men.  It was but there wasn't much leftover!
  Fanny, Zoey and Jeff are all snoozing so I should take this opportunity to knit undisturbed but I think I better wash dishes first.  


No comments: