Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Cataracts

   Had another set of tests done yesterday at the Eye Clinic at Bassett in Cooperstown.  The first set was done last Monday (8/14) at Cooperstown and the surgeon, Dr Manns, wasn't pleased with the results.   While there was no question about the size, etc of the cataract in my left eye, the right eye wasn't so easy to diagnose.  He wasn't sure about the condition of the retina and wanted a clearer view of it before scheduling cataract removal.  He wasn't sure removing the cataract would improve the vision in my right eye that much.  So yesterday I reported to the clinic at 11:45 and sat in the waiting room for about half an hour before it was my turn.  The tests took about an hour and then it was back to the waiting room for another hour's wait.  Finally I got to see the doctor who decided to schedule another test before oking the surgery.  Finally,he was satisfied with the test results and he okayed cataract removal.  The scheduling team would be in-touch.
   In the meantime, Jeff and the canines were waiting for me in the parking lot.  He was talking to people about beagles and Zoey was making friends.  Fanny was just putting up with all the strangers...she doesn't like meeting new people, remember?  Everyone was happy to see me and after a quick stop at the shop to leave some new stock, we headed for home.  It was too late to plan on stopping at Mona's in Mohawk (the purple house on Main St closes at 2pm)so we decided to stop at Mr. Shake's on Rte. 28
near Columbia Center.  Jeff got a bacon cheeseburger with everything on it, I had pulled pork and the dogs shared a plain hamburger patty.  We got 1 order of French fries and 1 order of onion rings, 2 sodas and a bowl of water.  We sat on the deck in the shade next to the mini-golf course...what a nice breeze there was and when some kids started to play golf and the water feature was turned on it was a very nice spot and we enjoyed our lunch.  We even had ice cream cones for dessert...I shared mine with the dogs!
   When we got home all four of us were beat so it was nap time for us all!   And we slept thru the supper hour so I didn't have to cook!  After watching the President on TV last night Jeff decided he was hungry so he went down to Burger King but the dogs and I were still sacked out!  Fanny heard him after he came back when he was straightening things up around the burn barrel near the driveway and she managed to wake up the rest of us.  Zoey may still be little but when she starts to bay....!!!  No one can sleep thru that!
   The Scheduling Center at Bassett called this morning to schedule my cataract removals...the right eye at Little Falls Hospital on Sept 21 and the left eye at Fox Memorial in Oneonta on Oct 1.  I said no.  I explained to the woman that I have an mechanical heart valve and take Warfarin and would have to bridge off Warfarin and on to Heparin for both procedures and while Little Falls Hospital would be my 1st choice,Fox would not be acceptable at all due to the distance.  She hemmed and hawed for a few minutes and then said she would try to schedule both eyes at Little Falls and would call back.  I'm not even sure now if Dr. Manns will end up doing the procdures!  All I know is that I'm not going to drive to Oneonta to have it done when Little Falls is 6 miles away, and Bassett is 35 miles away.  Oneonta is about 50 miles away and neither one of us is familiar with those roads. I'm willing to wait until they can schedule both eyes at Little Falls.

No comments: