Friday, June 2, 2017

A New Month...June!

   A simple trip to the post office and Walmart yesterday morning ended up including stops at Jeff's pharmacy(we've been there every day this week!) and Hannaford's but he paid for lunch at Mona's in Mohawk (Fanny and I shared the pull pork it was so big!)so it was time well spent. And I still managed to do a pumpkin hat when we got home...just to add some color to my display next week.  And there's an apple hat on the needles now. Hope to have 3 apples, 3 pumpkins and 3 bb's done by Monday...and maybe a sweater if it rains and I can't mow the lawn!
   Started off today by doing a self-test for my INR, and while it is still a little high(3.2), it is back in range! Can't tell you how deprived I've felt this past week...no slaw with my fish or pulled pork, no lettuce on my burger, not to mention no broccoli! Cottage cheese will never take the place of slaw!! And I've been so cold, I'm back to wearing wool socks to bed at night! The joys of living with Warfarin....
   Got the sad news Saturday night that my cousin, Jerry Paul, had died.  (He was only 2 years older than me!)  We saw him last at his brother Tom's funeral.  Seems like the only time family gets together anymore is for a funeral.  I don't like being this age.
His sons have opted for a private service...none of them live locally nor did Jerry...and they will scatter his ashes in the Adirondacks which he loved.
   On the happier side, I've been in touch with an friend from college (HC3, as we use to call it) that I hadn't seen or heard from in 47 years.  Discovered Tim on Facebook and we've been 'talking' a little.  He's widowed and has 2 grown children and is still living in 'sunny Florida'.  
   The shop is off to a great start.  We had a fantastic May with the best Memorial Day weekend sales in our 47 year history.  I sold out of my baseball hats the first day, and still managed to sell a couple of other hats and sweaters.  There's a baby somewhere who will be wearing one of my Pin-stripe hoodies this year!  Grandparents are wonderful customers!! 
   Jeff hasn't been feeling the greatest lately.  His blood sugar has been spiking and his doctor has been trying to adjust his meds to compensate for it but it's been a slow go.  He doesn't really feel up to doing much for long so the garden is still a 'work in progress'.  He did plant my cherry bushes and we're waiting for them to do something.  The weather hasn't been cooperating, either, so neither one of us is looking forward to stacking wood or mowing the lawn.
  The car Jeff usually drives, the Outback wagon, just got back from a month's stay at our mechanics, Hillslide in Little Falls.  If you remember Jeff forgot to get it inspected and got a ticket ($150) and when he did get it in, it failed inspection.  The 'check engine' light kept coming on.  Dave had to change the valve but because of the age of the Outback (it's a 1999) he had to order the part and when it was installed his computer wouldn't accept the data the Outback was willing to give.  Ended up he had to change the wiring harness (whatever that is) which he also had to special order.  Then he had a mechanic quit and he fired a 2nd mechanic, cutting his workforce in half. Eventually he got the wiring done and the Outback passed inspection.  Jeff was worried about the bill (another reason he wasn't buying anything for the garden) but we were pleasantly surprised with the cost.  But Jeff's decided to change the air filters himself and is planning to change the oil on both cars himself just so he can keep both cars close to home. 
   I've been knitting, trying to keep the shop well stocked going down there about once a week, and reading (M.C. Beaton is my author of choice at the moment) in between spurts of mowing the lawn.  One section of the front has been done 2x but most of it hasn't been done at all!  Jeff still has me using the catch bag on the mower...which I hate...because he wants the cuttings for the compost bin eventho I can't take the bag off without most of the grass falling out behind the mower instead of into the wheelbarrow!  I'll be glad when I can just mow and mulch the cuttings.
  Time to get to work...can't go out and mow coz Jeff is play 'sleeping beauty' so I think I'll finish that apple hat and then maybe start a pin-stripe sweater...a hoodie, maybe?

Might have started the day off on a high note by finding that my INR went down but my doctor's not satisfied and he's reduced my daily dose of Warfarin. Skipping slaw/lettuce and broccoli didn't help, either so if it's served, I'm eating it. I just love this roller coaster. Not. 


No comments: