Friday, June 9, 2017

Funerals, fishing and other things

   Jeff and I had a funeral to attend yesterday.  His brother, Tim's long time companion had died and although Jeff wasn't on good terms with the woman he felt we should attend for his brother.   
   It was the first time I had met the bulk of Jeff's family.  I had met Tim a couple of times...and Mary, the companion, only once and we didn't exactly hit it off.  I've also met Tim's sons, Tim, Jr and Doug, before but not his daughters.  I also met one of Jeff's aunt's who is about Tim's age, and a lot of people from the old neighborhoods they had lived in. Because I stayed with Jeff and his family I wasn't introduced to many of Mary's family.  The calling hours and service were held at the Enea-Ciaccia Funeral Home in Ilion and the reception at the Sauquoit Firehouse. The service was simple with several of Mary's family speaking. Tim held up pretty well until one of Mary's daughter's spoke very movingly about her mother and he faltered a little.  Jeff and Tim, Jr. immediately went to his side and  I think he appreciated that.  After the closing prayers and most of the people had left, the director played a recording of a bagpipe rendition of "Amazing Grace".  I was glad I was outside when he did.  I find that a difficult piece to listen to, maybe because it's played so often at military funerals across the road from us at St. Mary's.  
   One of Jeff's old friends gave us directions to the firehouse and I drove.  I really had hoped to follow somebody but nobody went up Frankfort Hill so I was on my own.  We made it to Sauquoit before Jeff began to think we had missed a turn somewhere but suddenly there was the turn they had told us to look for...and then the firehouse.  As usual there was more than enough food...pizza, cold cuts, even spaghetti and meatballs!  Jeff wouldn't let me eat any salad and I kept him from over doing the carbs but we both ate well.  We had to leave before dark because my car had blown a headlight and I didn't want to drive that far with 1 headlight!  We also had to stop at the pharmacy and pick up a 'scrip for Jeff on the way home so we really didn't have much choice.  And, let's just say we had a big welcome when we opened the kitchen door!  I'm sure Fanny was sure we were never coming home to give her supper!  That was the 2nd funeral I've been to at that funeral home this Spring and I think that's enough for the rest of the year.
    Jeff's been looking at kayaks and this afternoon he went out with the intent to buy one.  He had found one that would hold him and his fishing equipment at a decent price but it wasn't set up as a fishing boat.  He's got to make up his mind if he wants to spend the extra money for the larger kayak that is set up for fishing. But he did get the bulb for the headlight on my car.
  I've been trying to make some fancy baby hats so today I broke down and ordered more yarn.  Once that gets here next week I can really start knitting!

No comments: